Solving Word Problems: Heat in a Cylinder & Evaporation of a Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to heat and evaporation. In the first problem, the goal is to find the temperature at a certain distance from the axis of a cylindrical pipe where heat is escaping at a constant rate. In the second problem, the goal is to determine the time it takes for the radius of a spherical mothball to decrease to a certain size due to evaporation. The conversation also mentions the use of equations, specifically dQ/dt = C and dS/dt = k(SA), and the need for a negative sign in the second equation.
Gale
my biggest problem is the word problems. i can't figure out how to write the equation so that i can do the math...

Heat is escaping at a constant rate (dQ/dt is constant) through the walls of a long cylindrical pipe. Find the temperature T at a distance r from the axis of the cylinder if the inside wall has a radius r=1 and a temperature T=100, and the outside wall has r=2 and T=0.

so i couldn't figure out how to model this. dQ/dt= C doesn't get you very far... maybe cause I'm not sure how to relate the heat to temperature.

then i had another problem:

A substance evaporates at a rate proportional to the exposed surface. If a spherical mothball of radius 1/2 sm has a radius .4cm after 6 months, how long will it take for the radius to be 1/4cm?

i started with like dS/dt= k(SA), where S is the amount of substance and SA was the surface area, (which for a sphere is dependent on r, so this was looking good) but then i got confused about whether i need a negative sign or what else because the substance is lessening. then i wondered if the negative would be just be inherent in the solution, cause it ought to be i thought... i don't know. I'm just getting confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a physicist, but I think if S is entropy then dQ = T dS.

You need a minus sign for your second equation because we want the rate of decrease of the substance, and not the rate of increase.

Related to Solving Word Problems: Heat in a Cylinder & Evaporation of a Sphere

What is the formula for calculating heat in a cylinder?

The formula for calculating heat in a cylinder is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the cylinder, c is the specific heat capacity of the material, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

How do I solve word problems involving heat in a cylinder?

To solve word problems involving heat in a cylinder, you will need to identify the given information, such as the mass, specific heat capacity, and change in temperature. Then, use the formula Q = mcΔT to calculate the heat energy.

What is the formula for calculating evaporation of a sphere?

The formula for calculating evaporation of a sphere is E = 4πr2h, where E is the evaporation rate, r is the radius of the sphere, and h is the heat transfer coefficient.

How do I solve word problems involving evaporation of a sphere?

To solve word problems involving evaporation of a sphere, you will need to identify the given information, such as the radius of the sphere and the heat transfer coefficient. Then, use the formula E = 4πr2h to calculate the evaporation rate.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving these types of word problems?

One common mistake to avoid when solving word problems involving heat in a cylinder and evaporation of a sphere is using the wrong units for the given information. Make sure to convert all units to the appropriate SI units before plugging them into the formulas. Another mistake is forgetting to include the proper units in the final answer.