Finding Volumes and Evaluating Double Integrals

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, a double integral is a type of integral used in calculus to find the area under a two-dimensional function. It is calculated by setting up limits of integration for both variables and integrating the function with respect to both variables. Double integrals have various applications in real-world problems and are related to single integrals as an extension to two dimensions. There are two main types of double integrals: iterated integrals and double integrals over non-rectangular regions.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

1) By evaluating a double integral find the volume of the tetrahedron bounded by planes x+2y+z=2, x= 2y ,z=0 and y=0 (answer = 1/3)

2)

[tex]\int_{0} ^{1} \int_{x} ^{1} sin(y^2) dydx[/tex]

i) explain why this can be evaluated by integrating wrt y first.
ii) sketch the region of integration R of the double integration
iii)Evaluate the integral by expressing it as a Type II region first.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My query is with 1 and 2ii)

for 1

my region I integrated over was x/2≤y≤(2-x)/2 and 0≤x≤1

found when z=0 to get y=(2-x)/2 and this intersects y=x/2 at (1,1/2)

yet when I compute

[tex]\int_{0} ^{1} \int_{\frac{x}{2}} ^{\frac{2-x}{2}} (2-2y-x) dydx[/tex]

I don't get 1/3. If it's a problem with my algebra I'll fix it. But are my boundaries correct?

2) I believe it can't be done with dy first since the integral of sin(y2) can't be expressed in terms of elementary functions. Is the reason or is there some other factor that prohibits this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your boundaries look correct in your integral for 1.

And your answer to 2 looks correct too. And that problem will go away when you reverse the integration order.

Last edited:
ok for some reason I can't seem to get 1/3. This is what I have

[tex]\int_{0} ^{1} \int_{\frac{x}{2}} ^{\frac{2-x}{2}} (2-2y-x)dydx[/tex]

[tex] = \int_{0} ^{1} \left[ 2y-y^2 -xy \right] _{\frac{x}{2}} ^{\frac{2-x}{2}} dx[/tex]

[tex]= \int_{0} ^{1} \left( (2-x)- \frac{1}{4}(2-x)^2 -\frac{x}{2}(2-x) -x + \frac{x^2}{4} + \frac{x^2}{2} \right)[/tex]

[tex]= \int_{0} ^{1} (2-x-1+x-\frac{x^2}{4}-x+\frac{x^2}{2}-x+\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{x^2}{2}) dx[/tex]

[tex]= \int_{0} ^{1} (1-2x+\frac{x^2}{2}) dx[/tex]

[tex]= \left[ x-x^2 +\frac{x^3}{6} \right]_{0} ^{1} = 1/6[/tex]

:confused: where am I going wrong? Because I clearly can't see it

EDIT: for the second one as well, I can't get the answer, I must be doing something wrong

[tex]\int_{0} ^{1} \int_{x} ^{1} siny^2 dxdy[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{0} ^{1} \left[ xsiny^2 \right] _{x} ^{1} dy[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{0} ^{1} (xsin1-xsinx^2) dx[/tex]

[tex]= \left[ \frac{x^2}{2}sin1 + \frac{1}{2}cos(x^2) \right] _{0} ^{1} [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{2}sin1 + \frac{1}{2}cos1 - \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

answer is (1-cos1)/2 :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
It's late here so I will be brief. Your limits are correct on the first one and Maple checks it as 1/3. Recheck your algebra.

On the second one your reversed limits are wrong. You need to draw a picture of the region from the first integral and use it to get the dx dy limits.

Sack time here.

Thanks for your help, I just need a bit of understanding with the 2nd one still. I found the new limits as y≤x≤0 and 0≤y≤1, but to get the answer the y range must be 1≤y≤0 and this makes no sense to me.

rock.freak667 said:
Thanks for your help, I just need a bit of understanding with the 2nd one still. I found the new limits as y≤x≤0 and 0≤y≤1, but to get the answer the y range must be 1≤y≤0 and this makes no sense to me.

Agreed, 1≤y≤0 makes no sense. Again, to work the problem you must draw the region described in the original integral. You should see a triangular region in the first quadrant above the line y = x and below the line y = 1. Then simply use that picture to get the limits integrating in the x direction first. You need to look at the picture to get the new limits.

LCKurtz said:
Agreed, 1≤y≤0 makes no sense. Again, to work the problem you must draw the region described in the original integral. You should see a triangular region in the first quadrant above the line y = x and below the line y = 1. Then simply use that picture to get the limits integrating in the x direction first. You need to look at the picture to get the new limits.

I got out this one, but in my integration working above can you see any error I am making because I keep getting answers which are not 1/3 . I just tried it again and got an answer of -1/2

The x2/2 term in the second line from the bottom is wrong.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that involves finding the area under a two-dimensional function. It is represented by two integral signs and is used to find the volume or area of a shape in two dimensions.

2. How is a double integral calculated?

A double integral is calculated by first setting up the limits of integration for both variables, usually represented by x and y. Then, the function is multiplied by a small area element, dA, and integrated with respect to both variables. The resulting volume or area represents the value of the double integral.

3. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a solid object, finding the area between two curves, and determining the mass and center of mass of an object with varying density. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve various problems.

4. How is a double integral related to a single integral?

A double integral is essentially the extension of a single integral to two dimensions. Just as a single integral calculates the area under a one-dimensional curve, a double integral calculates the volume or area under a two-dimensional surface. In fact, a double integral can be thought of as a nested single integral, where the inner integral represents the area under a curve and the outer integral represents the sum of these areas over a range of values.

5. What are the different types of double integrals?

There are two main types of double integrals: iterated integrals and double integrals over non-rectangular regions. Iterated integrals involve evaluating the integral with respect to one variable first and then the other. Double integrals over non-rectangular regions require changing the limits of integration to match the shape of the region, which can be done using a change of variables or by using polar coordinates.