How can I find the component of a cross product along a given vector direction?

• Thread starter Noone1982
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses finding components of vectors in certain directions using dot products and unit vectors. The method of finding components is explained and applied to a specific problem involving a family of hyperbolas. The conversation also includes a question about finding the component of a vector in the direction of the gradient of a function.
Noone1982
I'm using wangsness EM book. I keep doing ch 1 #5 and keep getting 19, despite the back of the book saying -14.4

A = <2,3,-4>
B = <-6,-4,1>

AxB = <-13, -22, 10> = D

Find the component of AXB along the direction of Vector C

C = <1,-1,1>

Now I am using

CD = CDcos(theta)

Im getting 66.4º

Now, to get the component I used:

Magnitude = DCcos(66.4)

Does this method make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
To get the component of D in the direction of C, you need to take the dot product of D with the unit vector in the direction of C. (Divide [itex]\vec{D} \bullet \Vec{C}[/itex] by the magnitude of C.)

(Also: Why mess around with angles when you have the components?)

Thanks for the help, I tend to do things the hard way. I have another question:

"A family of hyperbolas in the xy plane is given by u = xy. Find the gradient of u. Given vector A = 3i + 2j + 4k find the component of A in the direction of gradient u at the point u = 3 and x = 2"

Since we know that u = 3 and x = 2, we can gather that the point of the hyperbola is x =2 and y = 3/2

Lets call this vector E

so E = 2i + (3/2)j + 0k

This problem is similar to the previous one I asked, finding the component. So I take it since I want to find the component of A in the direction of Grad U, I will need to make E into a unit vector

U = (4/5)i + (3/5)j + 0k

Now I presume I dot U and A?

That would create

UA = (8/5) +(9/10) = 5/2

Ignore the previous post. I was experiencing brain drain...

1. What is an EM1 vector?

An EM1 vector is a type of plasmid commonly used in molecular biology to introduce desired DNA sequences into bacterial cells. It contains genetic elements that allow for the efficient replication and maintenance of the vector in bacterial cells, as well as selectable markers for identifying and selecting cells that have successfully taken up the vector.

2. How do I design an EM1 vector?

Designing an EM1 vector involves selecting the appropriate genetic elements and DNA sequences to be inserted into the vector, as well as determining the appropriate restriction enzyme sites for cloning. It is important to consider the size and stability of the vector, as well as the compatibility of the genetic elements with the host bacterial strain.

3. What are some common problems encountered when using EM1 vectors?

Some common problems with EM1 vectors include low transformation efficiency, undesired recombination events, and instability of the inserted DNA sequence. These issues can often be addressed by optimizing experimental conditions, using appropriate controls, and carefully selecting and verifying the DNA sequences used in the vector.

4. How can I increase the efficiency of DNA insertion using EM1 vectors?

To increase the efficiency of DNA insertion, it is important to use high-quality DNA and optimize experimental conditions such as the concentration of DNA and the host cell's growth stage. Additionally, using a more efficient transformation method such as electroporation can also improve the efficiency of DNA insertion.

5. Can EM1 vectors be used in other organisms besides bacteria?

While EM1 vectors were originally designed for use in bacteria, they can also be used in other organisms such as yeast or mammalian cells. However, the genetic elements and experimental conditions may need to be modified for optimal performance in these different systems.