Solving Some Friction Thing Homework

• Thread starter kchau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a block on top of a frictionless slab. The first part of the problem involves finding the acceleration of the block and the second part involves understanding why the answer for the acceleration is 12N. The conversation also includes a hint for solving the problem and a discussion about the logic used to solve it. The conversation ends with a prescription for solving the problem and a reminder to use Newton's 2nd law to find the force exerted on the slab.
kchau

Homework Statement

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4671/img3328cj5.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i Found part a is 2.7
and b i think is 12.0N?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show how you solved part b.

(Hint: Just because b comes before c doesn't mean you have to solve them in that order.)

Draw FBD's and tell us why you think the answer is 12N for part b. (Note that the acceleration of each block (and both blocks together) must be the same if there is no slippage.)

well I am not sure how to solve it, i just used logic.
basically the way i see it, there is always 4.4kg resting on top of the slab, and no matter where you push, there will always be 12.0N applied to both blocks at the same time, mainly becuase the bottom of the slab is frictionless.

anyone?

kchau said:
well I am not sure how to solve it, i just used logic.
basically the way i see it, there is always 4.4kg resting on top of the slab, and no matter where you push, there will always be 12.0N applied to both blocks at the same time, mainly becuase the bottom of the slab is frictionless.
Your logic is flawed. Draw a FBD of the top block and calculate its acceleration. The max friction force that can act on the top block without slippage is 12N. The 12N friction force is the only force acting on the top block. Once you get the acceleration, solve for F with a FBD of the system.

this problem just doestn make sense to me, and none of the equations that i have found in teh textbook, or have used so far make sense.

PhanthomJay gave you a precise presciption for solving this problem. The block just begins to slide when the force on it exceeds 12 N. Figure out what its maximum acceleration must be as a result of that force. (Use Newton's 2nd law.) In order for "block + slab" to have that acceleration, what force must be exerted on the slab? Note that the force on the slab is the only external force acting on "block + slab". (Again, use Newton's 2nd law.)

Related to Solving Some Friction Thing Homework

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact.

2. Why is friction important?

Friction is important because it allows objects to stay in place, prevents slipping and sliding, and enables us to walk and grip objects with our hands.

3. How do you calculate friction?

Friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

4. What factors affect friction?

The factors that affect friction include the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the type of material the surfaces are made of.

5. How can friction be reduced or increased?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by smoothing or polishing the surfaces in contact. It can be increased by increasing the force pressing the surfaces together or by using materials with a higher coefficient of friction.