1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Friction Thing

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i Found part a is 2.7
    and b i think is 12.0N?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show how you solved part b.

(Hint: Just because b comes before c doesn't mean you have to solve them in that order.)

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw FBD's and tell us why you think the answer is 12N for part b. (Note that the acceleration of each block (and both blocks together) must be the same if there is no slippage.)

5. Oct 29, 2007 #4
    well im not sure how to solve it, i just used logic.
    basically the way i see it, there is always 4.4kg resting on top of the slab, and no matter where you push, there will always be 12.0N applied to both blocks at the same time, mainly becuase the bottom of the slab is frictionless.

6. Oct 30, 2007 #5
    anyone?

7. Oct 30, 2007 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your logic is flawed. Draw a FBD of the top block and calculate its acceleration. The max friction force that can act on the top block without slippage is 12N. The 12N friction force is the only force acting on the top block. Once you get the acceleration, solve for F with a FBD of the system.

8. Oct 30, 2007 #7
    this problem just doestn make sense to me, and none of the equations that i have found in teh textbook, or have used so far make sense.

9. Oct 30, 2007 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

PhanthomJay gave you a precise presciption for solving this problem. The block just begins to slide when the force on it exceeds 12 N. Figure out what its maximum acceleration must be as a result of that force. (Use Newton's 2nd law.) In order for "block + slab" to have that acceleration, what force must be exerted on the slab? Note that the force on the slab is the only external force acting on "block + slab". (Again, use Newton's 2nd law.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?