Calculate Blue Surface Area of Circles and Rosette

In summary, the first problem involves finding the surface area of the blue colored portion in the given graph, with circles of radii 3 cm and 1 cm. The solution includes developing an expression for the area of the quadrilateral, using Heron's formula, drawing lines and using the cosine rule to find angles, and subtracting the area of the sectors from the rectangle. This results in a solution that may not be a nice number.For the second problem, the surface area of the rosette inside an equilateral triangle with side length a is to be found. The solution involves finding the area of three segments and subtracting it from the area of the triangle. One approach is to use congruence theorem and trigon
kristo

Homework Statement

Find the blue colored surface area.
1 http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1630/graph1zd7.png
The radii of the circles are 3 cm and 1 cm.
2 Find the surface area of the rosette inside the equilateral triangle with side a.
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2590/graph2dj9.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do with the first one.For the 2nd one the area of the rosette inside the triangle should be the area of 3 segments minus the area of the triangle.
Here's a picture of what I did, with one circle only:
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4650/circlerd9.png
This is what I got: [tex] \frac{a^2}{6}(2 \pi - \frac{3 \sqrt {3} }{2}) [/tex]
But the book says it's [tex] \frac{a^2}{6}(2 \pi - 3 \sqrt {3} ) [/tex], so can anyone check it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Precalc? I have no idea on the 2nd one, the first one you have you do a few things.First develop an expression for the area of the quadrilateral using Herons Formula for triangles generalized, i can't rememeber the precise name.

[tex]A=\sqrt{(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)(s-d)}[/tex] where S = a+b+c+d, a b c and d are the lengths of the sides.

Then draw a line from A to B and A to C. Use the cosine rule to find an expression for the angles at 01 and 02. Using those angles, you can see how much of the circles area it encompasses. Now find the area of the sectors and subtract from the rectangle.

You won't get a very nice answer.

For then 2nd one, what is it that you want us to check? It isn't very clear.

Hey, thanks for your reply.
I had another go at the 1st problem and I solved it, got the same answer as the book. I did differently than you, though, using the congruence theorem and some trig.
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs114&d=07170&f=matenurk.png

Oh and there's a tiny difference between mine and the book's answer for the 2nd problem, just wanted to check who is right..
Thanks again!

1. How do you calculate the surface area of a circle?

The surface area of a circle can be calculated using the formula A = πr^2, where A is the surface area and r is the radius of the circle.

2. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a rosette?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a rosette is A = πr^2 * n, where A is the surface area, r is the radius of the circle, and n is the number of petals in the rosette.

3. How do you find the value of π for these calculations?

The value of π is a constant that is approximately equal to 3.14. It can also be calculated using the circumference of a circle (C) divided by its diameter (d), or π = C/d.

4. Can the surface area of a circle or rosette be calculated if the diameter is known instead of the radius?

Yes, the same formula can be used to calculate the surface area of a circle or rosette if the diameter is known. However, it is important to make sure that the diameter is divided by 2 to get the correct value of the radius for the formula.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the surface area calculation of a circle or rosette?

Yes, the formula for calculating the surface area assumes that the shape is a perfect circle or rosette. Any irregularities or imperfections in the shape may affect the accuracy of the calculation.