Sound and apparent wind -- Any Doppler effect?

In summary, the apparent headwind generated by the speed of the cars results in a doppler shift of the waves. The frequency is not altered, however, as the speed of the sound wave is decreased by the wind in the same ratio as the wavelength in the direction orthogonal to the road.
Kairos
If two cars are driving side by side at the same speed, their relative speed is zero but do they nonetheless perceive a sound Doppler effect from the other car's siren because of the apparent headwind generated by their speed?

Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
If they're running parallel at a constant velocity, then no.

• Skeptical
Likes Halc and weirdoguy
but I do not understand why because the wavelength is expected to be shortened at the level of the cars, since the original wavelength is pushed behind the vertical bar of this scheme :
wavelength.png
by the apparent headwind

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Kairos said:
but I do not understand why
Would you have understood if I had said "yes" ?
Kairos said:
because the wavelength is expected to be shortened at the level of the cars,
shortened as compared to what ?
Kairos said:
since the original wavelength is pushed behind the vertical bar of this scheme :View attachment 290889 by the apparent headwind
I have no idea what you mean by that.

I can see the circles - I assume they represent the wavefront, the closest circle to the driving vehicle would be the most recent.

If both vehicles were parked, and there was a steady wind, would you expect a Doppler effect ?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and phinds
Consider two consecutive of wave fronts from one car to the other. Does the transit time for the first differ from the transit time for the second?
Kairos said:
but I do not understand why because the wavelength is expected to be shortened at the level of the cars, since the original wavelength is pushed behind the vertical bar of this scheme :View attachment 290889 by the apparent headwind
The wavelength is not pushed. The wave front is pushed.

This is similar to a boat crossing a river problem. The tiny portion of the wave front that is aimed just right to go from one car to the other will have its forward velocity reduced by the cross-wind.

What effect would you expect this to have on the wavelength along the path from bottom car to top?
What effect would you expect this to have on the frequency of wave fronts passing the mid-point on that path?

Consider another argument...

If you decide that there is an apparent headwind for the bottom car and a resulting doppler shift at the sending end, what about the doppler shift at the receiving end?

Likes vanhees71
Kairos said:
the wavelength is expected to be shortened at the level of the cars
Doppler shift is about frequencies not wavelengths. You have to consider the propagation speed along the line connecting the cars.

Likes jbriggs444
Thank you for all these interesting arguments!
As the frequency is related to the wavelength through ## f=c/\lambda ##, if I understand well the frequency is unchanged because the speed of the sound wave ## c ## is decreased by the wind in exactly the same ratio as the wavelength in the direction orthogonal to the road? (and to the wind)

Kairos said:
Thank you for all these interesting arguments!
As the frequency is related to the wavelength through ## f=c/\lambda ##, if I understand well the frequency is unchanged because the speed of the sound wave ## c ## is decreased by the wind in exactly the same ratio as the wavelength in the direction orthogonal to the road? (and to the wind)
Yes.

I would consider frequency to be the invariant and wavelength to be the thing that varies based on velocity, but the result is the same regardless.

Likes Kairos
What's invariant is the "phase" of the wave, i.e., ##\omega t-\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}##.

Kairos said:
If two cars are driving side by side at the same speed, their relative speed is zero but do they nonetheless perceive a sound Doppler effect from the other car's siren because of the apparent headwind generated by their speed?
Does it matter if they are the same size?

Kat-hi said:
Does it matter if they are the same size?
If what are the same size ? The posed question is taken as two point sources moving at the same velocity through still air, ie: no aero effects.

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
What's invariant is the "phase" of the wave, i.e., ##\omega t-\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}##.

The invariance of frequency would have seemed in agreement with the conservation of energy (E=hf). It is not true?
Why is phase invariance more correct?

It's a very general concept leading to a consistent derivation of all kinds of Doppler effects. One must not forget that for the acoustic Doppler effect you have a preferred frame of reference, which is the rest frame of the medium (usually air in everyday life). Then you can have all kinds of situations, depending on whether the observer or the source is moving wrt. this rest frame or both. The concept of "phase invariance" let's you derive all these cases by using appropriate Galilei boosts (non-relativistic case) or Lorentz boosts (relativistic case). There's a nice AJP paper for the non-relativistic case, using this principle to derive all kinds of situations (including the most general case for both moving source and detector in arbitrary directions):

A. H. Spees, Acoustic Doppler Effect and Phase Invariance, American Journal of Physics 24, 7 (1956)
https://doi.org/10.1119/1.1934120

• Informative
Likes berkeman, Kairos and nasu
As source is moving at a speed say v m/s wrt medium towards receiver and
receiver is moving at speed v m/s wrt medium away from the source then by the formula :

f = [(c - v)/(c - v)]*f_o = f_o

**f_o = original frequency ; c = speed of sound ; f = resultant frequency to the reciever ; v<c

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. This effect is commonly observed in sound waves, where the pitch of a sound appears to change as the source moves towards or away from the listener.

2. How does the Doppler effect relate to sound and apparent wind?

In the context of sound and apparent wind, the Doppler effect is responsible for the change in pitch or frequency of sound that is heard by a listener on a moving object, such as a boat or airplane. As the object moves, it creates its own apparent wind, and this wind affects the frequency of sound waves emitted by the object, resulting in a Doppler shift.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the Doppler effect?

The magnitude of the Doppler effect is affected by the relative velocity between the source and the observer, the speed of sound in the medium, and the angle between the direction of motion and the direction of the wave. Additionally, the frequency of the wave itself also plays a role in the magnitude of the Doppler effect.

4. How is the Doppler effect used in practical applications?

The Doppler effect has various practical applications, including in weather forecasting, radar systems, and medical imaging. In weather forecasting, the Doppler effect is used to measure the speed and direction of wind, while in radar systems, it is used to detect the speed and location of objects. In medical imaging, the Doppler effect is used to measure blood flow in the body.

5. Can the Doppler effect be observed in other types of waves besides sound?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be observed in all types of waves, including light waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves. In fact, the Doppler effect was first observed in light waves by Austrian physicist Christian Doppler in 1842. The same principles that apply to sound waves also apply to other types of waves when there is relative motion between the source and the observer.