Sound moving through different mediums

• Thread starter squib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, when a certain pipe produces a fundamental frequency of f in air, filling the pipe with helium at the same temperature will not change the fundamental frequency. This is because the mechanism of sound generation remains the same and the frequency is determined by the speed of sound in the medium, not the properties of the pipe itself. Any differences in the equation used to calculate the frequency due to the medium would be inconsequential.
squib
A certain pipe produces a fundamental frequency of f in air.

If the pipe is filled with helium at the same temperature, what fundamental frequency does it produce?

I assume that I just take (f/v1)(v2), with v1 being speed in air and v2 being speed in helium

this lead me to the equation:
(f*sqrt(M_air))/sqrt(M_He)

However, this is somehow off by a multiplicative factor. I can, however, find no way in which any other factor would be involved...

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the mechanism in which the sound is being generated remains the same, the frequency does not change. If the speakers are vibrating the air at 5kHz, then changing the air content will not affect how they vibrate.

i think this may be assuming that air/he is the medium which the wave is traveling in, not the pipe itself

or.. f is also the fundamental frequency of the pipe, so you are using f = nv/2pi (or 4pi) i can't remember which, but that factor of the equation should be inconsequential.

1. How does sound travel through different mediums?

Sound travels through different mediums by creating vibrations that are transferred through the molecules of the medium. These vibrations cause the molecules to bump into each other, creating a chain reaction that carries the sound wave through the medium.

2. Does sound travel at the same speed through all mediums?

No, sound travels at different speeds through different mediums. The speed of sound is affected by the density, temperature, and elasticity of the medium. For example, sound travels faster through solids than through gases.

3. Can sound travel through a vacuum?

No, sound cannot travel through a vacuum because there are no molecules present to carry the vibrations. This is why sound cannot travel in outer space.

4. How does sound travel through water?

Sound travels through water in a similar way as it travels through air. However, because water molecules are closer together than air molecules, sound travels faster and farther in water than in air.

5. Why does sound change when traveling through different mediums?

The change in sound when traveling through different mediums is due to the change in speed and direction of the sound wave caused by the different properties of the medium. This can result in a change in pitch, volume, and clarity of the sound.