Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Waves?

  1. May 11, 2009 #1
    Are sound waves released in quanta?

    If so, what are these bosons called?

    If I'm wrong, please explain why?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2
    Yes, they are called phonons and they are bosons. See Wikipedia on this subject or other popular articles.

  4. May 11, 2009 #3
    I think they are called phonons in solids, but I'm not sure about fluids? I don't think there is any 'sound particle' there...
  5. May 12, 2009 #4
    there is also something called 'rotons'. not sure if thats sound or not.
  6. May 12, 2009 #5
  7. May 13, 2009 #6
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated:)
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook