1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SOVED quantum mechanics problem

1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    Last time, even after showing my sincere attempt, nobody replied.So, I am posting this problem 2nd time.Do not worry.The problem is probably done.Just I want to be sure of it.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

PROBLEM 1. Prove that neither

<xp>=∫ψ* x(ħ/i)(∂/∂x) ψ dx nor <xp>=∫ψ* x (ħ/i)(∂/∂x) xψ dx

is acceptable because both lead to imaginary value.Show that

<xp>=∫ψ* x(ħ/i)(∂/∂x) ψ dx + ∫ψ* x (ħ/i)(∂/∂x) xψ dx leads to real value.Does
    <xp>=<x><p> ?

Similar to the previous problem,I am thinking on this problem for a long time.In fact,there is a problem like this but that demands to show

PROBLEM 2. Neither <xp>=∫ψ* x(ħ/i)(∂/∂x) ψ dx nor <px>=∫ψ*(ħ/i)(∂/∂x) xψ dx is correct as they lead to imaginary values.But

[∫ψ* x(ħ/i)(∂/∂x) ψ dx + ∫ψ*(ħ/i)(∂/∂x) xψ dx] leads to an acceptable real eigenvalue...

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

The standard procedure to do this problem is to take the conjugate of <xp> or <px> and to check if <xp>=<xp>* and <px>=<px>*

But as for PROBLEM 2,I got after calculation <xp>=<xp>*+iħ and <px>=<px>*-iħ

So, it is clear that they are not correct relations.But when added together, the iħ s cancel and [∫ψ* x(ħ/i)(∂/∂x) ψ dx + ∫ψ*(ħ/i)(∂/∂x) xψ dx] leads to an acceptable real eigenvalue

But for PROBLEM 1 which appears in university booklet,it still remained a problem.
    The first part is identical for both problems.

But when I tried to do with the 1st problem,first note that the question has written
    the expectation value of xp,but the operator sandwitched between ψ* and ψ is xpx.Also the integral came as real!!!

∫ψ* x (ħ/i)(∂/∂x) xψ dx =∫ψ* xpx ψ dx= (ψ, xpx ψ) = (xpx ψ,ψ) [as xpx is Hermitian]

But, (xpx ψ,ψ)=(ψ, xpx ψ)* by definition of scalar products...

It follows that (ψ, xpx ψ)=(ψ, xpx ψ)*

Thus the given integral is real...

This is where I am having doubt if the question printed on that page is correct at all.

Again,can anyone please say if the question is wrong or I am wrong anywhere? If the question itself is misprinted, then there is no meaning of wasting more time for this problem.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?