How can I find the momentum squared operator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the momentum squared operator and its derivation. The conversation also mentions an attempt to derive the momentum squared operator using similar methods, but it results in an imaginary answer.
Harrisonized

Homework Statement

This problem is about the momentum squared operator. First, I state how I saw the derivation for the momentum operator. Then I state how I attempt to (and fail to) derive the momentum squared operator using the same methods.

Homework Equations

<p> = ∫ ψ*(ħ/i ∂/∂x)ψ dx

The construction for this definition is straightforward. We start with the fact that

<p> = m d/dt <x>
= m ∂/∂t ∫ ψ* x ψ dx
= m ∫ x ∂/∂t ψ*ψ dx
= m ∫ x ∂/∂x [iħ/2m ψ*(∂ψ/∂x)-(∂ψ*/∂x)ψ] dx (from the probability flux)

Here, we use the substitution x(∂/∂x)f(x) = ∂/∂x[xf(x)]-f(x) and say that since square integrable functions (that is, normalizable functions) must have derivatives that vanish, the first part is zero. We're left with "-f(x)", which is:

= m(iħ/2m) ∫ -[ψ*(∂ψ/∂x)-(∂ψ*/∂x)ψ] dx
= ħi/2 ∫ [(∂ψ*/∂x)ψ-ψ*(∂ψ/∂x)] dx
= ħi/2 ∫ (∂/∂x)ψ*ψ -2ψ*(∂ψ/∂x) dx

Again, the derivative vanishes.

= ħ/i ∫ ψ*(∂ψ/∂x) dx

Hence, we define the momentum operator as:

p = ħ/i (∂/∂x)

The Attempt at a Solution

To obtain the momentum squared, I go through the following steps (the first few steps are about the same):

<p> = m2 d/dt <x2>
= m2 ∂/∂t ∫ ψ* x2 ψ dx
= m2 ∫ x2 ∂/∂t ψ*ψ dx
= m2 ∫ x2 ∂/∂x [iħ/2m ψ*(∂ψ/∂x)-(∂ψ*/∂x)ψ] dx (from the probability flux)

From here, I use:

x2(∂/∂x)f(x) = ∂/∂x[x2f(x)]-2xf(x) (1)

The first part vanishes. We're left with 2xf(x)

= m2(iħ/2m) ∫ 2x [ψ*(∂ψ/∂x)-(∂ψ*/∂x)ψ] dx
= mħi ∫ x [ψ*(∂ψ/∂x)-(∂ψ*/∂x)ψ] dx
= mħi ∫ x [(∂/∂x)[ψ*ψ]-2(∂ψ*/∂x)ψ] dx

using another x(∂/∂x)f(x) = ∂/∂x[xf(x)]-f(x) type substitution:

= mħi ∫ -[ψ*ψ]-2x(∂ψ*/∂x)ψ] dx
= -mħi (1+∫ 2x(∂ψ*/∂x)ψ] dx)

It's obviously wrong since it's imaginary. Going back to step (1), which I bolded, and making the substitution

x(∂/∂x)g(x) = ∂/∂x[xg(x)]-g(x), where g(x) = (∂/∂x)g(x)=f(x), I'm left with 2g(x)=2∫f(x)dx

= 2mħi ∫∫ [(∂/∂x)[ψ*ψ]-2(∂ψ*/∂x)ψ] dx2

I don't understand why this happens. I get an imaginary answer every time. :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
your equation <p2> = m2 d/dt <x2> is wrong

Related to How can I find the momentum squared operator?

What is the momentum squared operator?

The momentum squared operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the momentum of a particle. It is represented by the symbol p^2 and is defined as the square of the particle's momentum, which is a vector quantity.

How is the momentum squared operator used in quantum mechanics?

The momentum squared operator is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the momentum of a particle in a given state. It is also used to find the average momentum of a particle in a given system or to determine the uncertainty in the momentum measurement of a particle.

What is the significance of the momentum squared operator?

The momentum squared operator is significant in quantum mechanics because it is one of the fundamental operators used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is also closely related to other important operators, such as the position operator and the energy operator.

How is the momentum squared operator related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The momentum squared operator is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The momentum squared operator is used to calculate the uncertainty in the measurement of a particle's momentum.

Can the momentum squared operator be used for particles with mass?

Yes, the momentum squared operator can be used for particles with mass as it is a fundamental operator in quantum mechanics that applies to all types of particles, including those with mass. However, it is typically used for particles with very small masses, such as electrons and protons, as they exhibit quantum behavior at the atomic level.