How Long Must the Rocket Fire to Accelerate the Space Platform?

In summary: I am not familiar with this. I have learned to use the kinematics equations though.have you done force = rate of change of … ?no, I haven't learned that yet either.Even though I believe that tiny-tim's method would solve your problem quicker it seems that you haven't learned that way of looking at Force yet (which ironically enough is actually how Newton originally came up with the second law).
sph

Homework Statement

A 4.50x10^5kg space platform is speeding up from 2.300x10^3m/s to 2.600x10^3mls because a rocket fires with a thrust of 138kN in space. How long must the rock fire to do this?

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=ma+mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to find acceleration so I could find the time.
I have attempted to use the equation F=ma+mg to isolate for a but could not.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi sph! welcome to pf! :smile:

(you don't need the acceleration)

force x distance = change in … ?

force x time = change in … ? :wink:

sorry, I am not familiar with this. I have learned to use the kinematics equations though.

have you done force = rate of change of … ?

no, I haven't learned that yet either.

Even though I believe that tiny-tim's method would solve your problem quicker it seems that you haven't learned that way of looking at Force yet (which ironically enough is actually how Newton originally came up with the second law).

The other method involves just using Newton's Second Law of Motion Sum of all F = ma. You have the mass, the force, so what must the acceleration be? Once you find the acceleration just try to remember the definition of average acceleration and see what you can do from there. Good luck!

Thanks! amazing answer by an amazing person. Also thanks for letting me know what I am missing out on.

Thank you for such a kind answer! I was nervous to post since this was my first post.

By the way the other method that Tiny Tim was referring to was the definition of Force that Newton originally identified.
Force = change in momentum over change in time. So Force can also be looked at as the derivative of momentum with respect to time (if you have gotten to calculus yet).

I am definitely going to ask my teacher about this! thank you once again and good luck with your future posts!

(just got up :zzz:)

Hi Polishstudent! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Polishstudent said:
… the other method that Tiny Tim was referring to was the definition of Force that Newton originally identified.
Force = change in momentum over change in time. So Force can also be looked at as the derivative of momentum with respect to time (if you have gotten to calculus yet).

sph, that's completely correct

and if you haven't done calculus (yet), the following applies if the force is constant …

force x time = impulse = total change in momentum

force x distance (strictly, force "dot" displacement) = work done = total change in mechanical energy :wink:

1. What is the "Space Platform Problem"?

The "Space Platform Problem" is a hypothetical scenario that was posed by physicist and mathematician Dr. John Von Neumann in the 1950s. It involves the construction of a space station or platform that would serve as a launching point for spacecrafts and satellites, while also being a self-sustaining habitat for humans.

2. Why is the "Space Platform Problem" important?

The "Space Platform Problem" is important because it addresses the challenges and possibilities of creating a permanent human presence in space. It also has implications for space exploration, colonization, and the potential for extraterrestrial resource utilization.

3. What are the key components of the "Space Platform Problem"?

The key components of the "Space Platform Problem" are designing a self-sufficient habitat, developing a reliable transportation system for people and supplies, and creating a sustainable economic model for the platform's operations.

4. What are the current solutions to the "Space Platform Problem"?

There are several proposed solutions to the "Space Platform Problem," including using existing technologies and materials for construction, utilizing solar energy for power and propulsion, and implementing closed-loop systems for waste management and food production.

5. What are the potential benefits of solving the "Space Platform Problem"?

If the "Space Platform Problem" is solved, it could lead to the establishment of a permanent human presence in space, which could open up new opportunities for scientific research, resource utilization, and commercial activities. It could also serve as a stepping stone for further space exploration and potentially facilitate human colonization of other planets.