Exploring Spacetime and Dark Energy: A Question for Physicists

In summary: However, this theory has a lot of problems because it doesn't seem to fit the observations very well.
allen1966
I have a question. Please excuse me if this seems naive as I am not a physicist. This thing dark energy has been proposed to explain the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. From what I understand, it is everywhere. Could it be possible that dark energy really does not exist, but the effects that we are seeing are the result of the properties of space time itself, the geometry of the universe, and the distribution of mass throughout the universe?

Space news on Phys.org
'Dark energy' might be anything.
The term is just a place-holder name for something which we don't know what it is, but is causing accelerating expansion.

allen1966 said:
Could it be possible that dark energy really does not exist, but the effects that we are seeing are the result of the properties of space time itself, the geometry of the universe, and the distribution of mass throughout the universe?
I once have been answered to the same question here, that this is one possibility among others.
Personally, I think according to Occam's razor a likely one.

allen1966 said:
I have a question. Please excuse me if this seems naive as I am not a physicist. This thing dark energy has been proposed to explain the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. From what I understand, it is everywhere. Could it be possible that dark energy really does not exist, but the effects that we are seeing are the result of the properties of space time itself, the geometry of the universe, and the distribution of mass throughout the universe?
Yes, it could, at least as far as being a property of spacetime. I don't think mass distribution is a factor. As rootone pointed out, we don't know WHAT it is, but there are various theories including, I believe, at least one that basically encompass your thought.

allen1966 said:
The simplest explanation for the accelerated expansion is a cosmological constant.

One way to describe gravity is to do a series expansion in the curvature parameter R, so that gravity is defined by the expression:

[tex]a_0 + a_1 R + a_2 R^2 + a_3 R^3 ...[/tex]

The simplest theory of gravity that isn't completely trivial is just using the constant and linear terms:

[tex]a_0 + a_1 R[/tex]

This is General Relativity. By convention, [itex]a_1 = 1[/itex] and [itex]a_0 = \Lambda[/itex], the latter of which is the cosmological constant.

This is usually considered to be one possible model of dark energy because a cosmological constant acts exactly as if there was a constant energy density through the universe.

Likes Drakkith

Related to Exploring Spacetime and Dark Energy: A Question for Physicists

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a four-dimensional mathematical model that combines space and time into one continuum. It was first introduced by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. How does spacetime affect the movement of objects?

Spacetime is curved by the presence of mass and energy, and this curvature affects the movement of objects by causing them to follow a curved path. This is what we experience as gravity.

3. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a mysterious form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

4. How do scientists study dark energy?

Scientists study dark energy through various methods such as observing the brightness and distance of supernovae, measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, and studying the large-scale structure of the universe.

5. What are the implications of dark energy for the future of the universe?

The presence of dark energy suggests that the universe will continue to expand at an accelerating rate, eventually leading to a "Big Rip" in which all matter is torn apart. However, this is just a theoretical possibility and more research is needed to fully understand the implications of dark energy.