1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spacetime physics Vs free e-book

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    Hello,
    I've been trying to collect as many resources as possible for (eventually) learning GR on my own. I came across a lot of links to nice e-books from this site and 'Relativity on the www'. My question here is, why does Spacetime physics by Taylor & Wheeler, a paperback with 32 pages cost more than $50.:surprised I'm well aware that quality is more important than quantity, but isn't this a "little" too much. :confused: I have downloaded a pdf on SR by David W. Hogg. How does this compare to the book mentioned earlier? Does it cover more topics?, the level of mathematics involved etc.

Any info is appreciated, and thanks to Tom Mattson and Gecko for providing all those great links to the lecture notes.

Navneeth

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2
  4. Feb 23, 2005 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At Amazon and Barnes and Noble,
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0716723271/103-9899537-7804601
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bo...userid=O24axnFAMB&isbn=0716723271&TXT=Y&itm=1
    they have the incorrect page count.

Amazon.uk says 312 pages
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0716723271/202-9862077-0944663

Spacetime Physics is certainly worth it.
    In fact, I would suggest that you get the 1st edition (maroon color) with the solutions in the back.

5. Feb 23, 2005 #4
    Ah! Thanks guys. I was quite shocked to see the 32 pp initially and I did check with other sites, apart from amazon and B&N, to find the same mistake. Looks like I have some mails to send now. :D

6. Feb 23, 2005 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I second the first edition idea. Even used. SP is mostly problems, and with the answers it becomes a better class of Schaum's.

7. Feb 23, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do love to scour the web for freebies. :biggrin:

Each has their pros and cons. Overall, I like Hogg better because it's more mathematical and it gets to the point. Taylor and Wheeler is very wordy, and at times I get the impression that they are even more enamored with their own wit than with relativity.

The thing I like about Taylor and Wheeler is that their problems are very involved, and the solutions are found in journal articles (references are given so that you can find them). This means that in most instances, the problems are relevant to the real world to a greater extent than in many books.

edit to add:
    Keep checking the Link Directory (in my sig line) for updates. I'm loading all our links into a searchable database right here at PF.

8. Feb 24, 2005 #7
    Who doesn't ? :wink:

I'll probably get hold of a copy from the college library as I will be having a course in SR next year. So, till then I'll look forward to what the web has to offer.

Sure. I do that once in two days. :biggrin:

9. Feb 24, 2005 #8

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eep! I'd better get cracking! :eek:

I'll try to have more goodies up posted there on Sunday. :approve:

10. Feb 24, 2005 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

11. Feb 24, 2005 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just so you know, anyone can post to the Link Directory. I've just taken it upon myself to transfer all the links from the various "Napster" threads over there.

12. Mar 6, 2005 #11
    I'm using it for a physics course and I find it much better than most physics texts. It's actually readable and doesn't cram hundreds of stupid pictures/graphs onto each page. The questions are also well thought out, instead of putting 500 different ones for each chapter, they have a handful that are very good. I like it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?