Spacetime physics Vs free e-book

In summary, the conversation revolved around the purchase of resources for learning about General Relativity. The topic of discussion was the cost of the book "Spacetime Physics" by Taylor & Wheeler, which was found to be expensive compared to its page count. It was suggested to get the first edition of the book, which contains solutions to problems. The conversation also mentioned other resources, such as a pdf on Special Relativity by David W. Hogg and an online textbook for Algebraic Topology. It was noted that the online Link Directory is constantly updated with new resources.
neutrino
Hello,
I've been trying to collect as many resources as possible for (eventually) learning GR on my own. I came across a lot of links to nice e-books from this site and 'Relativity on the www'. My question here is, why does Spacetime physics by Taylor & Wheeler, a paperback with 32 pages cost more than $50. I'm well aware that quality is more important than quantity, but isn't this a "little" too much. :confused: I have downloaded a pdf on SR by David W. Hogg. How does this compare to the book mentioned earlier? Does it cover more topics?, the level of mathematics involved etc.

Any info is appreciated, and thanks to Tom Mattson and Gecko for providing all those great links to the lecture notes.

Navneeth

Likes sanjid
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah! Thanks guys. I was quite shocked to see the 32 pp initially and I did check with other sites, apart from amazon and B&N, to find the same mistake. Looks like I have some mails to send now. :D

neutrino said:
Ah! Thanks guys. I was quite shocked to see the 32 pp initially and I did check with other sites, apart from amazon and B&N, to find the same mistake. Looks like I have some mails to send now. :D

I second the first edition idea. Even used. SP is mostly problems, and with the answers it becomes a better class of Schaum's.

neutrino said:
Any info is appreciated, and thanks to Tom Mattson and Gecko for providing all those great links to the lecture notes.

I do love to scour the web for freebies. :biggrin:

Does it cover more topics?, the level of mathematics involved etc.

Each has their pros and cons. Overall, I like Hogg better because it's more mathematical and it gets to the point. Taylor and Wheeler is very wordy, and at times I get the impression that they are even more enamored with their own wit than with relativity.

The thing I like about Taylor and Wheeler is that their problems are very involved, and the solutions are found in journal articles (references are given so that you can find them). This means that in most instances, the problems are relevant to the real world to a greater extent than in many books.

edit to add:
Keep checking the Link Directory (in my sig line) for updates. I'm loading all our links into a searchable database right here at PF.

Tom Mattson said:
I do love to scour the web for freebies. :biggrin:
Who doesn't ? :wink:

Each has their pros and cons. Overall, I like Hogg better because it's more mathematical and it gets to the point. Taylor and Wheeler is very wordy, and at times I get the impression that they are even more enamored with their own wit than with relativity.

The thing I like about Taylor and Wheeler is that their problems are very involved, and the solutions are found in journal articles (references are given so that you can find them). This means that in most instances, the problems are relevant to the real world to a greater extent than in many books.
I'll probably get hold of a copy from the college library as I will be having a course in SR next year. So, till then I'll look forward to what the web has to offer.

edit to add:
Keep checking the Link Directory (in my sig line) for updates.
Sure. I do that once in two days. :biggrin:

neutrino said:
Sure. I do that once in two days. :biggrin:

Eep! I'd better get cracking! :eek:

I'll try to have more goodies up posted there on Sunday. :approve:

selfAdjoint said:
How about Hatcher's online textbook of Algebraic Topology? For starters, http://www.math.cornell.edu/~hatcher/AT/ATpage.html

Just so you know, anyone can post to the Link Directory. I've just taken it upon myself to transfer all the links from the various "Napster" threads over there.

I'm using it for a physics course and I find it much better than most physics texts. It's actually readable and doesn't cram hundreds of stupid pictures/graphs onto each page. The questions are also well thought out, instead of putting 500 different ones for each chapter, they have a handful that are very good. I like it.

1. What is spacetime physics?

Spacetime physics is a branch of physics that combines the concepts of space and time into a single construct. It explains the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by gravity and the movements of objects in the universe.

2. What is the difference between spacetime physics and traditional physics?

The main difference between spacetime physics and traditional physics is that spacetime physics incorporates the concept of space and time as a single entity, while traditional physics treats them as separate entities. Additionally, spacetime physics is used to explain phenomena such as gravity and the behavior of objects in the universe, while traditional physics focuses on more macroscopic and observable phenomena.

3. What is a free e-book on spacetime physics?

A free e-book on spacetime physics is a digital book that can be accessed and downloaded for free, typically from the internet. It contains information and explanations about the principles and theories of spacetime physics, and may also include diagrams, illustrations, and examples to help readers understand the concepts better.

4. How can a free e-book on spacetime physics be useful?

A free e-book on spacetime physics can be useful for both beginners and experts in the field. Beginners can use it as a learning tool to gain a better understanding of the concepts and theories of spacetime physics, while experts can use it as a reference or refresher to review and deepen their understanding of the subject.

5. Are there any limitations to using a free e-book on spacetime physics?

While a free e-book on spacetime physics can be a helpful resource, it may have some limitations. The information provided may not be as comprehensive or up-to-date as other resources, and the quality of the content may vary. It is always best to use multiple sources when studying a complex subject like spacetime physics.