SpaceX Dragon docking simulator

In summary, the Dragon autonomously docked with the ISS and everything went smoothly. Dragon lacked the joystick controls found in the real Dragon and the orbital effects were not noticeable.
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Online ISS docking simulator for the Dragon capsule
Practice your skills at docking Dragon with the ISS. Could be a lot more stressful in the real thing.https://iss-sim.spacex.com/

Likes jackwhirl, nsaspook, .Scott and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Got it on the first try. Zero out Roll, Pitch, Yaw. Bring Y and Z close to zero. Then move in slowly - adjusting Y and Z as required.

I approached at about 12cm/sec until I was within a few meters. Orbital mechanics did not seem to be an issue.

• Love
Likes Ibix and anorlunda
That was fun. I also nailed it the first time using @.Scott 's tips.

It reminds me of the Lunar Lander simulator on my old Apple ][. I crashed most of the time but my kids could do it fine.

Since the simulation starts you with zero relative velocity and since translatory controls has a fairly big impulse bit it is easy to get a "non-zeroable" velocity bias in Z and Y if you change attitude while translating. I wonder if the impulse bit really is this high in the real Dragon and if docking pilot really only have access to this simple "bang-bang" control.

Also, didn't notice any orbital effects either. For a v-bar approach I would expect there to be a small downward rate when closing on the station. And if you just let Dragon sit at its initial position (assuming that position is displaced along the h-bar axis through ISS center of mass) it should oscillate in Y in sync with the orbit.

Last edited:
First time, too. Practiced holding y and z down to the ##\pm 0.2\mathrm{m}## tolerance while closing, then decided to hold it to ##\pm 2\mathrm{m}## while closing the range - not wasting reaction mass or wearing myself out. Braked about 10m out and got the y/z tolerances under control, had one bad moment when the green HUD diamond suddenly skated off and vanished, but I think you're just supposed to eyeball it in on the black cross on the docking port at that point.

@Filip Larsen - I also wondered why there wasn't a "zero my x/y/z velocity please" button, or a timed duration burn option.

Nice flight sim, thanks. Never played video games so the controls seem strange without a joystick. Good visuals but I could sure use a raw radar display with closing rates. I'll attempt to dock when I figure out the controls and my hands work.

I enjoyed this. It's neat how close this was to the sim that the astronauts are using, shown in the video linked at the end.
Anyone else notice the flat Earth easter egg in the settings menu?

• Haha
Likes berkeman
It's possible to fly through some parts of the ISS. One module I found even had some containers inside, I wonder who put that in the simulation.

By default docking will be done automatically, but with these controls it's really easy.

Orbital mechanics has a timescale of the orbital period, or ~90 minutes, and we start in the same orbit (just ahead of the station) as well. As long as you don't take half an hour for the docking it's negligible.

Likes Ibix
Found another Easter egg. Turn around at the initial position and then look a bit upwards.

docking.png

It's pretty close, you can fly to it. If you hit it the simulation claims you collided with the ISS.

Likes Ibix
mfb said:
Found another Easter egg. Turn around at the initial position and then look a bit upwards.

View attachment 263315

It's pretty close, you can fly to it. If you hit it the simulation claims you collided with the ISS.
Is that what your avatar is driving?

There are PC dedicated keys with this (are they indicated somewhere by SpaceX?). The left yoke uses QWE and ASD and the right yoke uses <> and the positioning arrows (or the number pad?). Much easier for me.

Likes Filip Larsen and Ibix

1. What is the purpose of the SpaceX Dragon docking simulator?

The SpaceX Dragon docking simulator is designed to train astronauts and ground crew for the process of docking the Dragon spacecraft with the International Space Station (ISS). It allows users to practice and perfect the complex maneuvers required for successful docking.

2. How does the SpaceX Dragon docking simulator work?

The simulator uses a combination of virtual reality technology and physical controls to replicate the experience of docking the Dragon spacecraft with the ISS. It includes realistic visuals and physics to provide an accurate training environment.

3. Who can use the SpaceX Dragon docking simulator?

The simulator is primarily used by astronauts and ground crew involved in the SpaceX Dragon missions. However, it may also be used by other space agencies and organizations for training purposes.

4. What are the benefits of using the SpaceX Dragon docking simulator?

Using the simulator allows astronauts and ground crew to practice and familiarize themselves with the docking process in a safe and controlled environment. It also helps to reduce the risk of errors and increases the chances of a successful docking.

5. Is the SpaceX Dragon docking simulator an accurate representation of the real docking process?

Yes, the simulator is designed to be as realistic as possible, using data and information from actual SpaceX Dragon missions. However, it is still a simulation and may not perfectly replicate all aspects of the real docking process.