Speaking as a business owner about taxes

In summary: Less cash flow, in the end it can even mean less tax money.In summary, when taxes are raised, it may limit a company's ability to raise prices, leading to a reduction in revenue and job losses. However, this is only true in some cases, and larger, more established companies are able to absorb more costs.
turbo-1 said:
Want to change the tax code? I suggest making the code so simple that owner-operator businesses can start up and run without being choked out by big businesses and their slaves in DC.
Slaves? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hurkyl said:
OK, bribed "public servants" that do the bidding of their masters, to the detriment of you and me.

With the recent SCOTUS decision re: political advertising, it's going to get a lot worse, real soon.

I agree that lower taxes are no panacea. I expected the financial system to blow up sooner or later when Bush cut taxes after 9-11 and we were in recession. During a recession there is usually an excess capacity in the economy so what is the point of cutting taxes on a wealthy business owner? The tax cut won't produce a job until demand picks up.

You don't always produce/sell more goods just because taxes are lower. Sometimes you get a Hedge Fund growth industry that buys/sells debt contracts like used car salesmen fueled by easy money, perverse executive compensation packages, and low capital gains taxes ... until the bad paper covers the system and causes the policy-driven bubble to implode.

Over on the site Understanding Money it is said that the net private financial worth is equal and opposite to the base money supply + governmnet debt. I never understood this properly until recently:

(G - T) = (S - I)

which means in a calendar year the government must sell treasury debt in the amount (G - T) of spending minus tax revenue. If there are no net imports, then this is equal to net financial savings S minus investment I made by the public. Thus if the private sector wants to have net savings the public sector must go into debt. It would make no sense for the government, with the franchise to print money, to have a bank account or run a long term surplus, because this only reduces the wealth of the private sector.

When a bank loans money to someone no net financial worth is created since the transaction involves a debit and a credit on private sector books. This process of the banks issuing loans on existing assets means the private sector becomes more debt-saturated. It is all a very complex system and I have no confidence whatever in the "one trick ponies" who think lower taxes is the primary lever to pull to fix economic ills.

SystemTheory said:
I agree that lower taxes are no panacea. I expected the financial system to blow up sooner or later when Bush cut taxes after 9-11 and we were in recession. During a recession there is usually an excess capacity in the economy so what is the point of cutting taxes on a wealthy business owner? The tax cut won't produce a job until demand picks up.

You don't always produce/sell more goods just because taxes are lower. Sometimes you get a Hedge Fund growth industry that buys/sells debt contracts like used car salesmen fueled by easy money, perverse executive compensation packages, and low capital gains taxes ... until the bad paper covers the system and causes the policy-driven bubble to implode.

Over on the site Understanding Money it is said that the net private financial worth is equal and opposite to the base money supply + governmnet debt. I never understood this properly until recently:

(G - T) = (S - I)

which means in a calendar year the government must sell treasury debt in the amount (G - T) of spending minus tax revenue. If there are no net imports, then this is equal to net financial savings S minus investment I made by the public. Thus if the private sector wants to have net savings the public sector must go into debt. It would make no sense for the government, with the franchise to print money, to have a bank account or run a long term surplus, because this only reduces the wealth of the private sector.

When a bank loans money to someone no net financial worth is created since the transaction involves a debit and a credit on private sector books. This process of the banks issuing loans on existing assets means the private sector becomes more debt-saturated. It is all a very complex system and I have no confidence whatever in the "one trick ponies" who think lower taxes is the primary lever to pull to fix economic ills.

Private sector business loans are often referred to as "leverage". Loosely, it means you borrow against one asset to purchase or create additional assets and grow the business. Businesses borrow and invest to expand revenue and profits.

Often, Government doesn't create anything but a future need for additional funding.

Hurkyl said:

How about organized criminals (I mean this only in the Biblical sense, not the legal sense)?

As usual, the Left leaning participants focus on income taxes ONLY, and the Conservatives consider ALL FORMS of Taxes to be relevant.

As usual, the Left leaning participants focus on income taxes ONLY, and the Conservatives consider ALL FORMS of Taxes to be relevant.

The "income" tax is actually a labor tax as it currently operates. A sales tax applies when one purchases actual income (takes goods or services from society).

Bailing out the financial system implosion fueled by low capital gains taxes, lax regulations, and perverse executive compensation incentives is a tax caused by failure to understand how bubbles are generated using leverage. So I would blame the conservative deregulators if your taxes are exploding!

Money and debt have no thermodynamic properties, so they always tend to grow faster than real goods and services. When society grows debt faster than wealth, in today's environment, the logical consequence is either debt-repudiation or quantitative easing.

Funny how tax reductions never seem to result in lower prices... :rolleyes:

SystemTheory said:
When society grows debt faster than wealth, in today's environment, the logical consequence is either debt-repudiation or quantitative easing.

Does "quantitative easing" mean inflation and devaluation of the fiat currency?

This is a short propoganda on the benefits of quantitative easing published by the Bank of England:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetarypolicy/pdf/qe-pamphlet.pdf

In America the Fed is "expanding its balance sheet" which is the same as "quantitative easing." It is giving money to banks and buying assets such as mortgage backed securities, etc. The net result so far is a huge pile of excess reserves being held by the money center banks, with little inflation. This will help the banks de-leverage and keep the inflation in the financial assets, i.e., in the short run it is an effort to re-inflate the bubble and prevent massive asset price deflation, which causes the markets to panic.

In the long run the Fed will try to reverse this historically unprecedented effort, by trying to get employment and wages up, while not generating high inflation in consumer goods, if it can do so. There is a debate among economists today as to how and whether the Fed can reverse these measures.

SystemTheory said:
The "income" tax is actually a labor tax as it currently operates. A sales tax applies when one purchases actual income (takes goods or services from society).

Can you please explain this - and please factor in the fact that MOST income taxes are paid by the "wealthy".

SystemTheory said:
In the long run the Fed will try to ... get employment and wages up, while not generating high inflation in consumer goods

Interesting to hear that the Fed is in charge of employment and wages and not say, the Congress or even the private sector (free market?).

Sic semper tyrannis

I just felt like throwing in my two cents.
I do not believe in a tiered tax rate, it is not fair to increase the tax rate of someone (or some company) because they work hard and are successful. I believe in a flat tax for everyone and every company. I think it should be a flat 10% across the board with no deductions or exceptions. The entire tax code could fit on one page!

If I make $1,000,000 a year, I pay $100,000 in income taxes.
If you make $100,000 a year, you pay only $10,000 in taxes.
I paid 10 times as much in taxes as you did, but we both paid the same RATE. This seams like a much fairer idea to me.

As supreme court justice Oliver Wendell Holmes put it "law...expresses the beliefs and wishes of the dominant force of the community". I would add likewise with taxes. Fair has nothing to do with it beyond a marketing slogan.

Wages are financial compensation for labor. Thus a wage tax is a labor tax. This Wiki is a long list of tax protest cases. This section deals with progressive taxation and labor tax arguments:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_protester_constitutional_arguments#Progressive_taxation

The Fed is not in control of wages and unemployment per se, but it does need to see a rebound in the real sector of the economy (employment and wage growth) so workers can pay back their leveraged debts to the financial sector and banking community.

The image I have of the economy is the old man behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz, pulling various levers, and perhaps not really in control of the complex machinery. Look at this forumula again:

(G - T) = (S - I) + (M - X)

where G is spending set by Congress in budget policy, and can include efforts to stimulate job creation via fiscal stimulus, T is tax policy set by Congress but is also function of the economy in terms of revenue collected, S is savings set by consumers and households, I is investment made by financial intermediaries and businesses, M is imports and X is exports.

In a recession the taxes naturally go down, if the government spends money to help support the economy, G goes up, but to keep from dumping all that G into the base money, the treasury sells bonds so that government impact on the banking sector is neutral. This must occur to allow the Fed some modicum of control over the money supply. So there are many levers in action at a given time and no one is in control of the complex system. The "free market" is not free either ... but that's another discussion.

Edit: please note the correction in post #53 by mheslep!

Last edited:
edpell said:
As supreme court justice Oliver Wendell Holmes put it "law...expresses the beliefs and wishes of the dominant force of the community". I would add likewise with taxes. Fair has nothing to do with it beyond a marketing slogan.

But who/where/what is this "dominant force" of the community that wishes the current tax scheme would remain unchanged? I honestly don't know a single person who thinks the current tax scheme is fair, or that it expresses their wishes and beliefs. I admit that I only know a couple of business owners, but they express their extreme dissatisfaction at the current tax rate, and the current tax code (which is insanely complicated).

I have not heard the private corporation named "The Federal Reserve Bank" express any unhappiness with the current tax system.

SystemTheory said:
(G - T) = (S - I) + (M - X)

where G is spending set by Congress in budget policy,
G is all government spending, federal, state, and local.

T is tax policy set by Congress
T is all tax revenue collected by all government - income, sales tax on cigarettes, property taxes, etc.

Last edited:
State and local government fiscal and tax policies introduce even more variables in the complex relationship between the real economy and financial sector. In New York and New Jersey, there are dozens of quasi-government Authorities who are empowered to contract for debt which is essentially backed by the taxpayers. But unlike the Federal government the states do not have a treasury/Fed system to effect quantitative easing or monetize the debt, hence the cash crunch is worse at a local level in the meltdown.

<h2>1. What taxes do I need to pay as a business owner?</h2><p>As a business owner, you will likely need to pay federal income tax, state income tax, and self-employment tax. You may also be responsible for paying sales tax, property tax, and payroll taxes if you have employees.</p><h2>2. How do I calculate my business taxes?</h2><p>The best way to calculate your business taxes is to keep detailed records of all your business income and expenses. You can then use this information to fill out the appropriate tax forms or hire an accountant to help you with the calculations.</p><h2>3. Are there any tax deductions or credits available for business owners?</h2><p>Yes, there are several tax deductions and credits available for business owners. These may include deductions for business expenses, such as office supplies and equipment, as well as credits for hiring certain types of employees or investing in certain industries.</p><h2>4. When are business taxes due?</h2><p>The due date for business taxes varies depending on the type of business structure you have. For sole proprietorships and partnerships, taxes are typically due on April 15th. For corporations, taxes are due on the 15th day of the 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th months of the tax year.</p><h2>5. What happens if I don't pay my business taxes on time?</h2><p>If you do not pay your business taxes on time, you may be subject to penalties and interest charges. It is important to file and pay your taxes on time to avoid these consequences. If you are unable to pay your taxes in full, you may be able to set up a payment plan with the IRS or state tax agency.</p>

1. What taxes do I need to pay as a business owner?

As a business owner, you will likely need to pay federal income tax, state income tax, and self-employment tax. You may also be responsible for paying sales tax, property tax, and payroll taxes if you have employees.

2. How do I calculate my business taxes?

The best way to calculate your business taxes is to keep detailed records of all your business income and expenses. You can then use this information to fill out the appropriate tax forms or hire an accountant to help you with the calculations.

3. Are there any tax deductions or credits available for business owners?

Yes, there are several tax deductions and credits available for business owners. These may include deductions for business expenses, such as office supplies and equipment, as well as credits for hiring certain types of employees or investing in certain industries.

4. When are business taxes due?

The due date for business taxes varies depending on the type of business structure you have. For sole proprietorships and partnerships, taxes are typically due on April 15th. For corporations, taxes are due on the 15th day of the 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th months of the tax year.

5. What happens if I don't pay my business taxes on time?

If you do not pay your business taxes on time, you may be subject to penalties and interest charges. It is important to file and pay your taxes on time to avoid these consequences. If you are unable to pay your taxes in full, you may be able to set up a payment plan with the IRS or state tax agency.