1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity kinetic energy

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In reference frame S', two protons, each moving at .500c, approach each other head-on. a) calculate the total kinetic energy of the two protons in frame S'. b) Calculate the total kinetic energy of the protons as seen in the reference frame S, which is moving with one of the protons.

2. Relevant equations
    E = mc^2 + K
    K = γ1/2mv^2
    Proton rest mass = 938 MeV/c^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    So for part A I just found the kinetic energy of one of the protons given by γ(1/2)mv^2
    (1.1547)(1/2)(938)(.25) * 2 = 270 MeV.. and the back of the book says 290 MeV.. but this textbook is known for having a lot of wrong answers, can anyone verify whether I am correct or incorrect?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I get 290.22MeV Note:
    ##K=(\gamma-1)mc^2## because ##E=\gamma mc^2##

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    what is incorrect about my method of using the equation K = γ1/2mv^2 to obtain the answer?

5. Oct 31, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It looks like you just took the non-relativistic expression for KE (1/2mv^2), which is only good for low speeds, and thought you could make it relativistically correct by slapping on a gamma. But that doesn't work. Simon Bridge gave the correct formula.

6. Oct 31, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

DocAl is correct - ##K\neq \gamma\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
    What lead you to believe the equation would be correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted