Special Relativity kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the total kinetic energy of two protons in different reference frames. The method of using the equation K = γ1/2mv^2 to obtain the answer is incorrect, as it is based on a non-relativistic expression for KE. The correct formula is K = (γ - 1)mc^2.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

In reference frame S', two protons, each moving at .500c, approach each other head-on. a) calculate the total kinetic energy of the two protons in frame S'. b) Calculate the total kinetic energy of the protons as seen in the reference frame S, which is moving with one of the protons.

Homework Equations

E = mc^2 + K
K = γ1/2mv^2
Proton rest mass = 938 MeV/c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part A I just found the kinetic energy of one of the protons given by γ(1/2)mv^2
(1.1547)(1/2)(938)(.25) * 2 = 270 MeV.. and the back of the book says 290 MeV.. but this textbook is known for having a lot of wrong answers, can anyone verify whether I am correct or incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 290.22MeV Note:
##K=(\gamma-1)mc^2## because ##E=\gamma mc^2##

what is incorrect about my method of using the equation K = γ1/2mv^2 to obtain the answer?

PsychonautQQ said:
what is incorrect about my method of using the equation K = γ1/2mv^2 to obtain the answer?
It looks like you just took the non-relativistic expression for KE (1/2mv^2), which is only good for low speeds, and thought you could make it relativistically correct by slapping on a gamma. But that doesn't work. Simon Bridge gave the correct formula.

PsychonautQQ said:
DocAl is correct - ##K\neq \gamma\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
What lead you to believe the equation would be correct?

Related to Special Relativity kinetic energy

1. What is Special Relativity kinetic energy?

Special Relativity kinetic energy is a concept in physics that describes the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It takes into account the object's mass, speed, and the speed of light. This theory is a fundamental part of Albert Einstein's theory of Special Relativity.

2. How is Special Relativity kinetic energy different from classical kinetic energy?

In classical physics, kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. However, in Special Relativity, the formula is modified to include the object's relativistic mass, which increases as the object's velocity approaches the speed of light.

3. Can Special Relativity kinetic energy be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of Special Relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Therefore, an object's kinetic energy cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. How does Special Relativity kinetic energy relate to the famous equation E=mc^2?

The equation E=mc^2, also known as the mass-energy equivalence, is a consequence of Special Relativity. It shows that mass and energy are interchangeable and that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy. Special Relativity kinetic energy is a manifestation of this principle.

5. What are some real-life applications of Special Relativity kinetic energy?

Special Relativity kinetic energy has been applied in many fields, including particle physics, nuclear energy, and space travel. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as PET scans, which rely on the conversion of mass into energy to produce images of the body.