How Fast Must a Spaceship Travel to Cross the Galaxy in 35 Years?

In summary, to cross the galaxy with a diameter of D=6e20 in T=35 years (as measured on ship), the spaceship needs to travel at a velocity of D/v\gamma. The time viewed on Earth and the distance viewed by the spaceship can be calculated using the Lorentz factor and the equation T = D/v\gamma.
feuxfollets

Homework Statement

A spaceship sets out from Earth to cross the galaxy, which has diameter D=6e20, in T=35 years (as measured on ship). What velocity does it need to travel at? And then find time viewed on earth, distance viewed by spaceship.

Homework Equations

shown below

The Attempt at a Solution

So I don't think I can do this simply with the lorentz factor because of the element of distance when the final time measurement is taken, right? As in
Let l' be the length viewed by the ship, l=D the length viewed on earth, t' = T the time on ship and t the time on earth.
Then [tex]\frac{l'}{v} = T[/tex] and [tex]l' = \frac{D}{\gamma}[/tex] so just combine and solve?

Should I be using the Lorentz transformations here instead?
[tex]T = \gamma (t - \frac{vD}{c^2})[/tex]
[tex]x' = \gamma (D - vT)[/tex]

But that's a huge mess to solve...

Are either of these approaches correct? If not what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
feuxfollets said:

Homework Statement

A spaceship sets out from Earth to cross the galaxy, which has diameter D=6e20, in T=35 years (as measured on ship). What velocity does it need to travel at? And then find time viewed on earth, distance viewed by spaceship.

So I don't think I can do this simply with the lorentz factor because of the element of distance when the final time measurement is taken, right?
You can just use the Lorentz factor. There is no change in measuring position in the spaceship frame. The events (beginning and ending of journey) occur at the same position in the spaceship frame.

As in
Let l' be the length viewed by the ship, l=D the length viewed on earth, t' = T the time on ship and t the time on earth.
Then [tex]\frac{l'}{v} = T[/tex] and [tex]l' = \frac{D}{\gamma}[/tex] so just combine and solve?
That's right, which means that:

[tex]T = D/v\gamma[/tex]

You have to work that out to determine v. Its not that difficult.

AM

FAQ: How Fast Must a Spaceship Travel to Cross the Galaxy in 35 Years?

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a scientific theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905, which explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. What is the special relativity problem?

The special relativity problem refers to the paradoxes and contradictions that arise when trying to apply the principles of special relativity to certain situations, such as objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light or objects in different frames of reference.

3. How does special relativity affect our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity introduces the concept of time dilation, where time passes differently for observers in different frames of reference. It also explains the contraction of lengths in the direction of motion and the idea of simultaneity being relative. This challenges our traditional understanding of time and space as absolute and fixed.

4. What is the role of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in special relativity. It is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. Special relativity states that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion, and it is a crucial factor in the theory's predictions and equations.

5. How is special relativity applied in modern science and technology?

Special relativity is an essential factor in modern science and technology, particularly in fields such as particle physics and cosmology. It is used to explain the behavior of subatomic particles, the behavior of objects in extreme conditions, and the structure of the universe. It is also essential in the development of technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators.