What is the Time Interval Between Arrival of Wave Fronts at C' in S?

In summary: You should have two equations that tell you the distance from C1 to C2 and the time it takes for the light to travel from A to C2.Now you need to solve the two equations for C1 and C2. You can do this by using the Laws of Motion.In summary, the train shown in the figure is 1.9 km long as measured by the observer at C' and is moving at 170 km/h. The time interval between the arrival of the wave fronts at C' is measured by the observer at C in S.
BigFlorida

Homework Statement

Assume that the train shown in the figure below is 1.9 km long as measured by the observer at C' and is moving at 170 km/h. (The point C' is midway along this train.) What time interval between the arrival of the wave fronts at C' is measured by the observer at C in S?

upload_2015-8-29_18-42-0.png

Homework Equations

c = 3x10^5 km/s[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been staring at this problem for a few hours and nothing seems to be jumping out at me. I did not know if I was supposed to measure the train with a ruler to get the proper scale (7.2 cm = 1.9 km) and then measure the interval from A' to B' to calculate the actual length (~1.4 km), or to consider the length from A' to B' to be 1.9 km. The former seems like a lot more work than my teacher would expect, but the latter seems much more logical because in the problem statement it says "the length of the train is 1.9 km" and the interval A' to B' is obviously not the length of the entire train.

I know just by thinking about it that the interval should be tiny, but I cannot think about how to calculate it. I think I am missing something glaringly obvious, but I just cannot see it.

To me, it seems a choice for the upper bound, t2, would be 4.67x10^-6 s because one light flash starts at B' = B and by the time it reaches C', C' = A which implies (to me) that the beam of light has traveled the length of the interval (1.4 km). I could be wrong though.

I still have no way of getting t1 though.

Also, I do not know if it is proper to believe that C' is halfway in between A' and B' if A' -> B' = 1.4 km, because the front part of the train (to the right of A') is longer than the back side of the train (to the left of B') and C' is the center of the train. So that also greatly throws things off for me..

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did this problem come from? The problem statement is a disaster on many levels.

Chet

My guess is that you are expected to assume (1) C is the mid-point of AB and (2) AB=1.9km. To do otherwise would require measuring the diagram and that is very rarely done in such problems. The problem is poorly stated. They should have explicitly stated (1) and (2), but let's assume they intended to but just forgot.

I don't think the problem actually requires use of any special relativity techniques such as Lorentz contraction or time dilation. The whole problem can be done using classical techniques in the frame S, because it doesn't ask about any distances or times as measured in the train's frame.

To solve it, first let's label a couple more points to make reference easy. Let C1 be the location of C' when the light wave from A reaches C', and let C2 be the location of C' when the light wave from B reaches C'.

If you can work out the distance in S between C1 and C2 then the time interval will be the time C' takes to get from C1 to C2.

To work out the location of C1, make its distance from C a variable x then write an equation based on the fact that C' travels from C to C1 and the light travels from A to C1 in that time. Solve for x.

Then do the same thing for C2.

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory in physics that explains how objects move and interact with each other at high speeds, specifically close to the speed of light. It was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and has been extensively tested and validated through experiments and observations.

2. What is the Special Relativity Problem?

The Special Relativity Problem refers to the contradiction between the principles of Special Relativity and classical mechanics. According to classical mechanics, the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. However, Special Relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion but may differ for observers in accelerated motion.

3. How does Special Relativity affect our daily lives?

Special Relativity has a significant impact on our daily lives, especially in the fields of technology and communication. GPS systems, for example, rely on the principles of Special Relativity to accurately determine locations and time. Additionally, Special Relativity has led to advances in nuclear energy, quantum mechanics, and space exploration.

4. What are some key concepts in Special Relativity?

Some key concepts in Special Relativity include the constant speed of light, time dilation, length contraction, and the principle of relativity. These concepts explain how time and space are relative and depend on the observer's frame of reference, as well as the effects of high speeds on these measurements.

5. How has Special Relativity been tested and validated?

Special Relativity has been tested and validated through numerous experiments and observations. One of the most famous experiments is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed the constancy of the speed of light. Other experiments, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment and the Pound-Rebka experiment, have also confirmed the predictions of Special Relativity. Additionally, the principles of Special Relativity have been incorporated into modern technologies and have consistently provided accurate results.