Specific gravity and pressure question

In summary, to determine the minimum height of the bag in order to infuse glucose into the vein, we need to use the concept of specific gravity and the equations for density and pressure. Using the given information, we can calculate the density of the solution and use it to find the minimum height of the bag, which is 1.25 m.
sheababy33

Homework Statement

a collapsible plastic bag contains a glucose solution. if the avg gauge pressure in the vein is 12300 pa, what must be the minimum height of the bag in order to infuse glucose into the vein? assume the specific gravity of the solution is 1.02. the acceleration of gravity is 9.8.
answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

d=m/v
p=HDa
f=pa

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried plugging in everything that i could into different equations but i can't get anything that seem right, i don't really understand specific gravity cause my teacher hasn't taught it to us.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I can help you solve this problem. Let's break it down step by step:

First, we need to understand the given information. The average gauge pressure in the vein is 12300 Pa. This means that the pressure exerted by the glucose solution in the bag must be equal to or greater than 12300 Pa in order for it to flow into the vein.

Next, we need to understand the concept of specific gravity. Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to the density of water. In this case, the specific gravity of the solution is 1.02. This means that the solution is slightly more dense than water.

Now, let's look at the equations you listed. The first one, d=m/v, is the equation for density. We can use this to find the density of the glucose solution. Since we know the specific gravity, which is the ratio of the density of the solution to the density of water, we can set up the following equation:

1.02 = ρ/1000

Where ρ is the density of the solution and 1000 is the density of water in kg/m^3. Solving for ρ, we get ρ = 1020 kg/m^3.

Next, we can use the equation p=HDa, where p is pressure, H is height, D is density, and a is acceleration due to gravity. We know the pressure (12300 Pa), density (1020 kg/m^3), and acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). We can rearrange the equation to solve for H:

H = p/(Da)

Plugging in the values, we get:

H = 12300 Pa / (1020 kg/m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2) = 1.25 m

Therefore, the minimum height of the bag must be 1.25 m in order for the glucose solution to flow into the vein.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is specific gravity?

Specific gravity is a measure of the density of a substance compared to the density of water. It is a unitless quantity and is typically represented by the symbol "SG".

2. How is specific gravity calculated?

Specific gravity is calculated by dividing the density of the substance by the density of water at a specific temperature. This can be done using the formula SG = ρsubstance/ρwater, where ρ represents density.

3. What is the relationship between specific gravity and pressure?

Specific gravity and pressure are inversely related. As pressure increases, the specific gravity of a substance decreases. This is because pressure decreases the volume of the substance, making it more dense.

4. How does specific gravity affect buoyancy?

The specific gravity of a substance determines its buoyancy in water. A substance with a specific gravity greater than 1 will sink in water, while a substance with a specific gravity less than 1 will float. This is due to the principle of buoyancy, which states that an object will float if it displaces an amount of water equal to its weight.

5. How does temperature affect specific gravity?

Temperature can affect the density of a substance, and therefore its specific gravity. As temperature increases, the density of a substance generally decreases. This means that the specific gravity of a substance may change with temperature, so it is important to specify the temperature at which the specific gravity measurement was taken.