Specific Heat Capacity - high pressure gas

In summary, the conversation is about designing a cracking furnace for Ethylene Dichloride at high temperature and pressure. The specific heat capacity of EDC is needed for an energy balance, but the only available data is at standard conditions. The possibility of scaling it up is discussed, but no solution is found. The conversation also mentions a proprietary database and a website for reference on gases' specific heat capacities.
Nathan Amery
I am designing a cracking furnace to crack Ethylene Dichloride. the furnace is at around 500 C and 2 M Pa. To perform an energy balance I need the specific heat capacity of the EDC at the aforementioned temperature and pressure. I can only find it at standard conditions and can find no way of 'scaling it up' to my required conditions. Is there any way to do this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Nathan,
The database I have gives:
Specific Heat, Cv (Btu/lb F) = 0.2921
Specific Heat, Cp (Btu/lb F) = 0.3184

(given Ethylene Dichloride (1,2-Dichloroethane) @ 500 C and 2 MPa)

QG: What database is this? Sounds like a keeper!

Yep, I love it! Unfortunately it's proprietary.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Seems like a very handy database to have

Hi,

I'm involved in an effort to upgrade the thernal mass flow controllers used in the petrochemical industry.

I've noted that current MFCs have a weakness in that Cp specific heat capacitance changes as a function of pressure. For example 14% for N2 and near 0% for He. Density and Cp are the main drivers on sensor sensitity and it will change with pressure.

I will eventually need to test a couple of dozen gases. I want to get an idea of the monotomoica vs diatomic vs polyatomic influence before hand and afterward to compare my data existing references in the 0 to 4000 PSIA range.

I have not found much in the reference on many gases other than N2. Does anyone have any suggestions for references. I can trade data or maybe look at a specific gas as a quid per quo. We can do flamable, corrosive or nasty gases at our unique facility.

Thanks
Dan

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is often measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C) for solids and liquids, and in joules per mole per degree Kelvin (J/mol·K) for gases.

2. How is high pressure gas different from low pressure gas in terms of specific heat capacity?

High pressure gas has a higher specific heat capacity compared to low pressure gas. This is because at high pressures, gas molecules are more closely packed together and have more interactions with each other, resulting in a higher amount of energy required to raise their temperature.

3. Why is it important to study the specific heat capacity of high pressure gas?

Studying the specific heat capacity of high pressure gas is important for understanding the behavior and properties of gases under extreme conditions. It can also have practical applications in industries such as aerospace, where high pressure gases are used in propulsion systems.

4. How is specific heat capacity affected by changes in pressure?

As pressure increases, the specific heat capacity of a gas also increases. This is because at higher pressures, gas molecules have more interactions with each other and require more energy to change their temperature. Conversely, as pressure decreases, the specific heat capacity decreases as well.

5. What factors can affect the specific heat capacity of high pressure gas?

Aside from pressure, other factors that can affect the specific heat capacity of high pressure gas include temperature, molecular weight, and the type of gas. For example, heavier gas molecules typically have a higher specific heat capacity compared to lighter molecules.