Specific Heat Capacity - high pressure gas

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am designing a cracking furnace to crack Ethylene Dichloride. the furnace is at around 500 C and 2 M Pa. To perform an energy balance I need the specific heat capacity of the EDC at the aforementioned temperature and pressure. I can only find it at standard conditions and can find no way of 'scaling it up' to my required conditions. Is there any way to do this?

Answers and Replies

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi Nathan,
The database I have gives:
Specific Heat, Cv (Btu/lb F) = 0.2921
Specific Heat, Cp (Btu/lb F) = 0.3184

(given Ethylene Dichloride (1,2-Dichloroethane) @ 500 C and 2 MPa)

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
QG: What database is this? Sounds like a keeper!

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yep, I love it! Unfortunately it's proprietary.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Seems like a very handy database to have

Dan_Mudd
Hi,

I'm involved in an effort to upgrade the thernal mass flow controllers used in the petrochemical industry.

I've noted that current MFCs have a weakness in that Cp specific heat capacitance changes as a function of pressure. For example 14% for N2 and near 0% for He. Density and Cp are the main drivers on sensor sensitity and it will change with pressure.

I will eventually need to test a couple of dozen gases. I want to get an idea of the monotomoica vs diatomic vs polyatomic influence before hand and afterward to compare my data existing references in the 0 to 4000 PSIA range.

I have not found much in the reference on many gases other than N2. Does anyone have any suggestions for references. I can trade data or maybe look at a specific gas as a quid per quo. We can do flamable, corrosive or nasty gases at our unique facility.

Thanks
Dan

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member