Specific heat of certain hard water(hardness measured with gpg)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
ryancheeseman
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
ok so this is my first post and I am not sure if what I am looking for is even possiable or that I am even posting in the right form.. anyways

im looking for a way to find the specific heat of a water sample depending on the hardness, i measure hardness with grains per gallon (gpg). and I am realistic i realize that hardness even at a measured or set rate is different between water samples because of the variations of dissolved rock and minerals, so it will be an estimation at best.

idealy i want to be able to figure out specific heat of a hard water sample so i can compare it to the specific heat of filtered softened water, and then be able to compute boiling time ect...

i tried to google something about it but had no luck. maybe someone here can shed some light.

thanks,
ryan cheeseman
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just approximate it as calcium carbonate and look of the specific heat of calcium carbonate solutions in the literature, probably the Chemical Engineers' Handbook.