Specific volume and density problem

In summary, the pressure vessel contains 1 kg of liquid water and 80 liters of steam with a specific volume of 0.02 m3/kg. The density of the liquid water is 50 kg/m3 in SI fundamental units. The mass of the steam is determined by modifying the formula for specific volume. The density and specific volume of the system (liquid water + steam) can be calculated using the total mass and volume of the system. Assumptions about the vessel being completely filled may need to be made for accurate calculations.
Xyius
1. A pressure vessel of volume 100 liters is filled with 1 kg of liquid water and 80 liters of steam with a specific volume of 0.02 m3/kg. Determine
a. The density of the liquid water in SI fundamental units
b. The mass of the steam in grams
c. The density and the specific volume of the system (liquid water + steam)

Homework Equations

[tex]Specific\ Volume = \nu = \frac{1}{\rho} = \frac{V}{m}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I am unsure about the assumptions that should be made for part A only. The vessel is 100 L and is filled with 1 kg of liquid water and 80L of steam. Is it correct of me to assume that the entire vessel is filled? So therefore.. (Since 20L = 0.02 cubic meters)
[tex]\rho_{water} = \frac{m}{V} = \frac{1kg}{0.02m^3} = 50\frac{kg}{m^3}[/tex]

Does this sound right to you guys? Part B would be solved in a similar manner using the specific volume of steam that is given, and part C I am assuming you would do something like this..
[tex]\rho_{system} = \frac{m_{water + steam}}{V_{system}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I am unsure about the assumptions that should be made for part A only. The vessel is 100 L and is filled with 1 kg of liquid water and 80L of steam. Is it correct of me to assume that the entire vessel is filled? So therefore.. (Since 20L = 0.02 cubic meters)
[tex]\rho_{water} = \frac{m}{V} = \frac{1kg}{0.02m^3} = 50\frac{kg}{m^3}[/tex]

Does this sound right to you guys?

Yep that would be correct.

Xyius said:
Part B would be solved in a similar manner using the specific volume of steam that is given, and part C I am assuming you would do something like this..
[tex]\rho_{system} = \frac{m_{water + steam}}{V_{system}}[/tex]

part b would just be modifying your formula to get mass.

part c, that is correct as well (your method that is)

Cool thanks :)

1. What is specific volume?

Specific volume refers to the amount of space that a substance occupies per unit mass. It is the reciprocal of density, and is typically measured in units such as cubic meters per kilogram (m^3/kg).

2. How is specific volume calculated?

Specific volume can be calculated by dividing the volume of a substance by its mass. For example, if a substance has a volume of 10 cubic meters and a mass of 5 kilograms, its specific volume would be 2 m^3/kg.

3. What is the relationship between specific volume and density?

There is an inverse relationship between specific volume and density. As the specific volume increases, the density decreases, and vice versa. This means that substances with a high specific volume have a low density, and substances with a low specific volume have a high density.

4. How does temperature affect specific volume and density?

Temperature can affect the specific volume and density of a substance because it can cause changes in the volume and mass of the substance. As temperature increases, the volume of most substances also increases, leading to a decrease in density and an increase in specific volume.

5. Why are specific volume and density important in scientific research?

Specific volume and density are important in scientific research because they help us understand the physical properties of substances and how they behave under different conditions. These measurements are also crucial in many engineering and industrial applications, such as in the design and construction of buildings and vehicles.