Specifict Heat capacity of Air.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the specific heat capacity at constant volume of air at a temperature of 300K and pressure of 1 atm. The participants discuss whether to assume air is a diatomic ideal gas and conclude that other factors, such as the combination of gases in air and the imperfect nature of air as an ideal gas, may affect the calculation. The conversation also touches on finding the thermal conductivity of air under certain conditions and mentions the use of equations to calculate it.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

What is the the specific heat capacity at constant volume of Air?, with temperature 300k and pressure = 1 atm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I assume that this is a diatomic ideal gas and thus Cv = 5/2 ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try it and see how close you get to the experimental value ?

Cp = 1003.5 J kg−1 K−1

Ok, well I've assumed air is a diatomic gas and that:

Cv = 5/2 R = 20.785

What other equation could I use to work out the precise value of Cv for air?

A few issues with that:

1) "Specific" implies per unit mass, not per mole.
2) Air is a combination of gases, not all of which are diatomic.
3) Air is not a perfectly ideal gas.
4) Additional heat capacity arises from diatomic bond stretching.

Depending on how introductory your thermo class is, issues (2), (3), and (4) may be ignored.

Cv = 20.7643 J mol−1 K−1 for air at STP, pretty close to an ideal gas
You could re-calculate it assuming 1% Argon (the major non-diatomic consituent of air) but to account for the difference between the nitrogen and oxygen is a much more complicated model.

Ok thanks. I might as well post the whole question because I can't seem to get the right answer.

(Q) Find the thermal conductivity of air under the following conditions:

T = 300 K
pressure = 1 atm
density of air = 1.29 kg/m^-3
coefficient of viscosity is 1.75 x 10-5 Pa.s

Average speed of air molecules is 466 m/s
Mean free path of air molecules is 942 x 10^-10 m

Do I use equation:

Thermal conductivity = [n<v>λ / 3][Cv/6.02 x 10^23]

When I do though, I don't get the correct value...

What is specific heat capacity of air?

The specific heat capacity of air is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of air by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of the energy needed to change the temperature of air.

How is the specific heat capacity of air measured?

The specific heat capacity of air is typically measured using a calorimeter. This apparatus measures the temperature change of air when a known amount of heat is added or removed.

What factors can affect the specific heat capacity of air?

The specific heat capacity of air can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and humidity. It may also vary slightly depending on the composition of the air, such as the presence of water vapor or other gases.

Why is the specific heat capacity of air important?

The specific heat capacity of air is important in many scientific and engineering applications. It is a key factor in understanding and predicting changes in temperature, such as in weather patterns and in the design of heating and cooling systems.

How does the specific heat capacity of air compare to other substances?

The specific heat capacity of air is relatively low compared to other substances, such as water. This means that air requires less energy to change its temperature compared to other substances with higher specific heat capacities.