1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spectrum observed on heated vessel

1. Jul 27, 2012 #1
    Today i was heating a bowl of soup..the intensity of the flame of the gas stove was quite high..
    i observed that the bowl got burnt and when it cooled down a bit, i observed a band of colours..blue was the most prominent..i noticed the presence of violet, yellow and orange too..
    I wish to know the reason behind this..and the scientific view of what happened..
    Thankyou :)

P.S - I don't know anything about the material of the bowl..And i have attached a picture of it too..

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2012 #2
    This is a thin film effect, called iridescence. The material is some thin layer of corrosion, maybe chromium oxide. It doesn't really matter what the material is, as long as the material is thin and refractive. Light which penetrates the material and reflects off the metal will interfere with light which reflects off the material, either constructively or destructively, depending on the thickness of the film and the color of the light.

4. Jul 27, 2012 #3
    thankyou :)
    also, why didn't this happen when i heated a similar bowl on a low intensity flame?
    is it related to the oxidation?

5. Jul 27, 2012 #4
    Yeah. The reaction rate increases approximately exponentially with increasing temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook