Spectrum observed on heated vessel

In summary, while heating a bowl of soup on a high intensity flame, the narrator observed that the bowl got burnt and cooled down to reveal a band of iridescent colors, including blue, violet, yellow, and orange. They are curious about the scientific explanation for this phenomenon and have attached a picture of the bowl, which has a thin film of corrosion, possibly chromium oxide. The narrator also wonders why this did not happen when heating a similar bowl on a low intensity flame and if it is related to oxidation. This is due to a thin film effect called iridescence, where light reflects off the material and interferes with itself, creating different colors depending on the thickness of the film and the color of the light. The reaction
Cromptu
Today i was heating a bowl of soup..the intensity of the flame of the gas stove was quite high..
i observed that the bowl got burnt and when it cooled down a bit, i observed a band of colours..blue was the most prominent..i noticed the presence of violet, yellow and orange too..
I wish to know the reason behind this..and the scientific view of what happened..
Thankyou :)

P.S - I don't know anything about the material of the bowl..And i have attached a picture of it too..

Attachments

• IMG_4338.jpg
    IMG_4338.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 362
Science news on Phys.org
This is a thin film effect, called iridescence. The material is some thin layer of corrosion, maybe chromium oxide. It doesn't really matter what the material is, as long as the material is thin and refractive. Light which penetrates the material and reflects off the metal will interfere with light which reflects off the material, either constructively or destructively, depending on the thickness of the film and the color of the light.

thankyou :)
also, why didn't this happen when i heated a similar bowl on a low intensity flame?
is it related to the oxidation?

Yeah. The reaction rate increases approximately exponentially with increasing temperature.

Thank you for sharing your observation with us. The band of colors that you observed on the heated bowl is known as a spectrum. This is a result of light being separated into different wavelengths due to the refraction and reflection of light on the surface of the bowl. The different colors that you saw, such as blue, violet, yellow, and orange, each have a different wavelength and are therefore refracted at different angles, resulting in the band of colors that you observed.

The reason for this phenomenon is due to the composition of the bowl's material. Without knowing the specific material of the bowl, it is difficult to determine the exact reason for the colors observed. However, different materials have different abilities to absorb and reflect light, which can result in the spectrum that you saw.

In terms of the scientific view, this is known as the phenomenon of light dispersion. When light passes through a material, such as the heated bowl, it can be bent or refracted due to the material's properties. This results in the separation of light into its different wavelengths, creating the spectrum that you saw.

I hope this helps to answer your question. If you are interested in learning more about light dispersion and the properties of different materials, I would recommend further research or consulting with a materials scientist. Thank you again for sharing your observation with us.

1. What is a spectrum observed on a heated vessel?

A spectrum observed on a heated vessel refers to the range of electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed by the molecules in the vessel when it is heated. This can provide information about the chemical composition and physical properties of the molecules present in the vessel.

2. Why is a spectrum observed on a heated vessel important?

A spectrum observed on a heated vessel can provide valuable information for scientific research and industrial applications. It can help identify the types of molecules present, their concentrations, and the temperature and pressure conditions inside the vessel.

3. How is a spectrum observed on a heated vessel measured?

A spectrum observed on a heated vessel is typically measured using a spectrometer, which can detect and analyze the different wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed by the heated molecules. The resulting spectrum can then be interpreted and analyzed to extract information about the molecules in the vessel.

4. What factors can affect the spectrum observed on a heated vessel?

The spectrum observed on a heated vessel can be affected by various factors such as the composition and concentration of the molecules present, the temperature and pressure of the vessel, and the type of heating used. Other external factors like the presence of impurities or contaminants can also impact the observed spectrum.

5. How can the spectrum observed on a heated vessel be used in research?

The spectrum observed on a heated vessel can be used in a variety of research fields, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. It can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of molecules under different conditions, and can also be used to study chemical reactions and processes happening in the vessel. This information can aid in the development of new materials, technologies, and scientific theories.