Speed and direction of Velocity Vector - Inelastic

In summary, a 55kg man running at 4 m/s in the positive y direction is tackled by a 115kg man running at 8.5 m/s at a 140 degree angle. After the inelastic collision, the final velocity is 7.04 m/s at an angle of 131.4 degrees from the +x axis counterclockwise. To solve for the final velocity, conservation of momentum equations for the x and y components were used, along with the given masses and initial velocities. The final angle was found to be 131.4 degrees from the +x axis counterclockwise.
garretts16

Homework Statement

A 55kg man is running in the positive y direction at 4 m/s. He is tackled by a 115kg man running 8.5 m/s at a 140 degree angle. What is the speed and direction after the inelastic collision?

Homework Equations

p=mv
p = sqrt of x^2 + y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The final velocity is 7.04 m/s, but the angle keeps coming out at 130 degrees, which I know is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
garretts16 said:
p = sqrt of x^2 + y^2
What do the x and y stand for here?
The final velocity is 7.04 m/s, but the angle keeps coming out at 130 degrees, which I know is wrong.

Can you please show steps for how you got these answers? Then maybe we can track down where you're having difficulty. It will also help if you state what physics principle(s) you are using.

When you say that the angle is 140 degrees, that's not really very clear. Is the 140 degrees measured counterclockwise from the +x axis?

the x is the velocity in the x direction, and same for y

I multiplied each mass times the velocity to get momentum. Then I set that P = MV1 + MV2 and I solved for the missing V. The angle is 140 degrees from 0. Counterclockwise.

garretts16 said:
the x is the velocity in the x direction, and same for y[\QUOTE]
Should the mass also be in there somewhere?
[\QUOTE]
I multiplied each mass times the velocity to get momentum. Then I set that P = MV1 + MV2 and I solved for the missing V. The angle is 140 degrees from 0. Counterclockwise.

You still haven't shown much detail. :frown: How did you use the angle of 140 degrees? Did you only set up one equation to solve for V?

I haven't used the angle yet, I'm not sure how to use it to find the direction after the collision. I set up a momentum equation, and, since it's an elastic collision, I set up a KE equation with it. I had trouble when I ran through the equations: I solved for x in the MV equation, but I got a y value in the answer. Now I'm supposed to plug it into the KE equation for it's x, then solve to find two possible answers.

The collision is given to be inelastic, not elastic. So, you won't be able to use an energy equation to help you find the final velocity.

Momentum is a vector quantity. It has both x and y components: px and py. When momentum is conserved, the total x component of momentum will be conserved and the total y component of momentum will be conserved. So, you can set up two equations: one equation for conservation of the x component of momentum and a separate equation for the y component of momentum.

So, to get started, see if you can find the following:

1. the x-component of momentum of the 55 kg person before the collision

2. the x-component of momentum of the 115 kg person before the collision

3. the y-component of momentum of the 55 kg person before the collision

4. the y-component of momentum of the 115 kg person before the collision

You're going to need to use that 140 degrees to get answers for 2 and 4.

1. 0
2. -6.5
3. 4
4. 5.46

from what I gathered.

Actually, I found the components of the velocity by mistake.

1. 0
2. -748.8
3. 220
4. 628.32

OK. Good. Suppose you let Vx be the x-component of the final velocity and Vy the y-component of the final velocity.

What would the equations for conservation of the x and y components of momentum look like?

I don't fully understand the question.

I think I solved it on my own. Is the new angle 131.4 degrees from the +x ccw?

garretts16 said:
I think I solved it on my own.
Great!
Is the new angle 131.4 degrees from the +x ccw?
Yes, I think so.

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they actually have different meanings in physics. Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision is different. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

3. How is the speed and direction of a velocity vector calculated?

The speed and direction of a velocity vector can be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken to travel that distance. The direction of the velocity vector can be determined by the angle at which the object is moving.

4. How does an inelastic collision affect the speed and direction of a velocity vector?

In an inelastic collision, the speed of the objects involved may change due to the transfer of kinetic energy. However, the direction of the velocity vector will remain the same, as long as there is no external force acting on the objects.

5. Can an inelastic collision result in a negative velocity?

Yes, an inelastic collision can result in a negative velocity. This can occur if the objects involved in the collision are moving in opposite directions, or if the collision causes the object to change direction. Negative velocity simply means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction chosen for the coordinate system.