1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed for a 2D problem.

1. Sep 20, 2003 #1
    A particle starts from the origin at t = 0 with an initial velocity having an x component of 20:7 m/s and a y component of -16:3 m/s. The particle moves in the xy plane with an x component of acceleration only, given by 5:03 m/s2.
    A)Determine the x component of velocity after 9:01 s. Answer in units of m/s.

B)Find the speed of the particle after 9:01 s.
    Answer in units of m/s.

I have found the answer to A as 66.02 but for B isn't the answer 66.02-(-16.32)= 82.32?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The point of the first part of the problem is that you can do the x and y components separately.

Since the x-component of velocity is initially 20.7 m/s and there is an acceleration of 5.03 m/s2, the x-component of velocity at any time t is given by 20.7+ 5.03t. When t= 9.02, this is 20.7+ 5.03*9.01= 65.8 m/s.
    That's not quite what you got. Is your "20:7" something other than "20.7"??

More importantly, you cannot add components like you do for B.
    Set up a right triangle with x-component as one leg and y-component as the other. The "speed" is the length of the vector itself- the hypotenuse of your right triangle. Use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate that.

4. Sep 21, 2003 #3
    "never mind I figured that out, but how do I find the displacement after 9.01s?(in the previous post colon was supposed to be a dot sign(:=.)"

should have read my other thread

5. Sep 21, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just as I said: after you have found the "x-component" and the "y-component" you know the legs of a right triangle having the vector itself as hypotenuse. Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of that vector. That's the "displacement".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?