Speed of a moving laser due to refraction

In summary, a transparent cube with an index of refraction of 1.6 and a side length of 4.0 cm is rotated at a constant angular velocity of 10 rad/s about an axis passing through its center. A laser beam is aimed at the cube, and after passing through it, the beam hits a screen forming a spot that is displaced a distance y from the straight line path. To find the speed of the spot when y = 0, the lateral shift y is expressed as a function of the angle of incidence and the refractive index. After simplification, the velocity is given by dy/dt = dy/dθ * dθ/dt, where θ is the angle of incidence. At y =
Erubus

Homework Statement

A transparent cube with index of refraction n = 1.6 and side length a = 4.0 cm is free to rotate about an axis passing through its center. A laser beam is aimed at the cube. After passing through the cube the beam hits a screen on the other side forming a spot. The spot is displaced a distance y from the straight line path. The cube is then rotated at a constant angular velocity ω = 10 rad/s. As the cube rotates the spot moves.

What is the speed of the spot at the instant that y = 0? (Answer 15 cm/s)

uFnPftE.jpg

Homework Equations

Snell's Law: n1*sin([itex]\theta[/itex]1)=n2*sin([itex]\theta[/itex]2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to find y in terms of theta(from the center of the cube to the midpoint of edge of the cube), time t, side length a, and n. Then I could find dy/dt when y = 0. However I am unsure how to start or how I would use the angular velocity. Does the refracted laser inside the cube always hit the midpoint of the side like in the picture?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the figure, y is the lateral shift. Write down the expression for the lateral shift in terms of refractive index and the angle of incidence. Then find dy/dt to find the velocity.

I have this expression for the lateral shift.
y = a*[sinθ√(1-(sin2θ/n2) - [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]cosθsinθ]/[√1-(sin2θ/n2)]

I'm not sure it's correct, it seems overly complicated.

So I assume the incident angle moves at the angular velocity ω=10rad/s, how do I use it with the expression for y? I know ω=dθ/dt, but all the trig in the expression is confusing me.

Erubus said:
I have this expression for the lateral shift.
y = a*[sinθ√(1-(sin2θ/n2) - [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]cosθsinθ]/[√1-(sin2θ/n2)]

I'm not sure it's correct, it seems overly complicated.

So I assume the incident angle moves at the angular velocity ω=10rad/s, how do I use it with the expression for y? I know ω=dθ/dt, but all the trig in the expression is confusing me.

Further simplification gives you
y = a(sinθ - remaining term)
Now the velocity is given by dy/dt = dy/dθ*dθ/dt
Find the derivative of y with respective θ. At y = 0, what is the value of θ? Put this value in the above derivative and find the velocity.

The method makes sense, but I am still not getting the right answer.

if y = a[sinθ - other term]

then dy/dθ = a[cosθ - (derivative of other term w/ sines and cosines)]

and I assume the incident angle would be 90° because it would be a straight line through the cube.

I plug in 90° in dy/dθ, the sines all = 1 and the cosines = 0 so it's fairly straight forward to calculate.

I want dy/dt which is dy/dθ * dθ/dt so I would multiply dy/dθ by 10rad/s to get the final answer.

In the end I get 32cm/sec.

Erubus said:
The method makes sense, but I am still not getting the right answer.

if y = a[sinθ - other term]

then dy/dθ = a[cosθ - (derivative of other term w/ sines and cosines)]

and I assume the incident angle would be 90° because it would be a straight line through the cube.

I plug in 90° in dy/dθ, the sines all = 1 and the cosines = 0 so it's fairly straight forward to calculate.

I want dy/dt which is dy/dθ * dθ/dt so I would multiply dy/dθ by 10rad/s to get the final answer.

In the end I get 32cm/sec.
When y = 0, the angle of incidence of the light is zero.
Now write down the derivative and put the angle equal to zero.

Finally got it, thanks so much.

FAQ: Speed of a moving laser due to refraction

1. What is the speed of a moving laser due to refraction?

The speed of a moving laser due to refraction can vary depending on the medium it is passing through. In a vacuum, the speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. However, when light passes through a medium such as air or water, it can slow down and its speed will be less than this value.

2. How does refraction affect the speed of a moving laser?

Refraction occurs when light passes through a medium with a different refractive index, causing it to change direction. This change in direction also affects the speed of the light, causing it to either speed up or slow down depending on the angle at which it enters the medium.

3. Can the speed of a moving laser due to refraction be calculated?

Yes, the speed of a moving laser due to refraction can be calculated using Snell's law, which relates the incident angle and refractive indices of the two media. This calculation can help determine the exact speed of the laser as it passes through different mediums.

4. Does the speed of a moving laser due to refraction always decrease?

No, the speed of a moving laser due to refraction does not always decrease. It can increase when the laser passes from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the speed of a moving laser due to refraction?

Understanding the speed of a moving laser due to refraction is crucial in many scientific fields, including optics, telecommunications, and meteorology. It is also important in everyday applications such as eyeglasses, camera lenses, and fiber optic cables.