Speed of light and snell's law

In summary, it seems that the speed of a photon in a solid medium is greater than the speed of light in a vacuum.
cabrera
Hi,

We know that light changes speed when going from a medium 1 to medium 2 (obviously, they are characterized by different driffactive indexes). Light wavelength doesn't change (same color) during such event.

If medium 1 is less dense than mendium2, the speed of light in medium 1 is faster than in medium 2. The relationship wavelength1 x frequency1 = V1 (speed in medium 1) tell us that speed of light is related to its frequency and wevelength. But if the speed is lower in medium 2, and wavelength 2 x frequency 2 = V2. And remembering that V2< V1, does that means that the wavelength of light when going into medium 2 changes?.

I know, that's wrong and the answer is related to the snell's law but I have not managed to derive a demostration

Science news on Phys.org
cabrera said:
And remembering that V2< V1, does that means that the wavelength of light when going into medium 2 changes?.
Yes, when light travels into a medium with greater index of refraction, its speed and wavelength decrease accordingly. (The frequency remains the same, however.)

Is that true that wavelength changes? So if, if you shine a red laser,will it change color when it goes through a lense?...I doubt it

The frequency stays the same. I suspect you will find that the perception of color depends on frequency and not (directly) on wavelength, although this depends on the biophysics of the retina of the eye, which is not my field.

The right hint is to Fresnel's equations, which are derived from Maxwell's equations and appropriate boundary conditions on the surface where both media meet each other. Unfortunately Wikipedia doesn't give the derivation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations

which is somewhat lengthy. You can find it in any textbook on electromagnetism, e.g., Jackson or optics, e.g., Sommerfeld Vol. 4. or Born and Wolf.

The wavelength changes upon entering a medium. What may be confusing is that often, instead of specifying the frequency, the wavelength in vacuo - which is constant, obviously - is given. It is also clear that the change of wavelength has no influence on the colour perceived, as the wavelength relevant (if at all) is that of the eye.

The color has to do with frequency and therefore energy from what I get (E=hf)
The wavelength has to do with momentum (p=h/λ)
When we change medium, speed changes and momentum changes so that by E=pc energy is conserved!

So, if E=p2c. Does that means that when a photon changes medium from 1 to 2 characterised by their refractive indexes as n1 <n2, p2 increases and c2 decreases?

regards,
David

jtbell said:
The frequency stays the same. I suspect you will find that the perception of color depends on frequency and not (directly) on wavelength, although this depends on the biophysics of the retina of the eye, which is not my field.

Hmm... but for you to see it it is going to have to come out of the glass into your eye.

Some things that depend on the length of things, like light scattering by small particles will change won't they when they are in a different medium? I think all the treatments depended on a ratio of refractive indices which gets often forgotten as that of air is near 1.

David,
Yes!

cabrera said:
So, if E=p2c. Does that means that when a photon changes medium from 1 to 2 characterised by their refractive indexes as n1 <n2, p2 increases and c2 decreases?

regards,
David

If you really want to talk about this in terms of photons, then the energy of a photon cannot change. How could it, when it would have to gain some energy (from where) when it emerges from glass, back into air again? You know that colors don't change when light passes through a (half-decent!) lens. As for the quantity "c2", you presumably refer to wave speed. Why would that necessarily be the same as the speed that you could measure for a photon (but how could you measure its 'transit time'?)
You need to be careful when you take established facts and then try to apply them in the wrong way. You can get wrong answers.

It seems only one person got right what I meant. E=p2C2 where E1=E2, and if c2<c1 then p2 > p1.

cabrera said:
It seems only one person got right what I meant. E=p2C2 where E1=E2, and if c2<c1 then p2 > p1.
Don't confuse the speed of light in a medium with the speed of a photon.

See the FAQ: Do Photons Move Slower in a Solid Medium?

Just a problem of notation, let's call c the speed of light and v the speed of light in a medium. Therefore if E1=E2 and E2=p2V with V<C then p2>p1, with p1 wave vector of light on air/vacuum

cabrera said:

Also, don't confuse people not understanding what you say with the basic quality of their understanding. There are ways of putting things that can make more sense to more people . . . . :wink:

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a constant value in the universe, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is denoted by the letter "c" in scientific equations.

How does the speed of light relate to Snell's law?

Snell's law is a principle in optics that describes how light bends when it travels through different mediums. The speed of light is used in Snell's law to calculate the angles at which light bends when it passes through different mediums.

Why is the speed of light considered a universal constant?

The speed of light is considered a universal constant because it is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative speeds or locations. This means that the speed of light is the same in a vacuum, air, water, or any other medium.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of light?

The formula for calculating the speed of light is c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength of light, and ν is the frequency of light.

How was the speed of light first measured?

The speed of light was first measured in 1676 by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer, who observed the differences in the timing of eclipses of Jupiter's moons as the Earth moved closer to or farther from them. He estimated the speed of light to be about 220,000 kilometers per second, which is relatively close to the actual value.