The Secrets of Antimatter and Fast Propelling Technology

In summary, according to this documentary, antimatter can be created by smashing photons at high speeds. This could theoretically be used to propel something at the speed of light. However, this is not true and there are many misconceptions about antimatter.
Tom10331
Hey I don't know if this in the right category but i'll ask it anyway.
I was watching TV when some documentary came on, it was on some particles called antimatter(refered as antiphotons,antineutrons,etc)and the person said if you bash a bunch of photons at the speed of light at some type of metal(I think Titanium or tugsten) it will separate into antimatter.

He also said if you used it,it can propell something at the speed of light.

Is this true if it is can you explain it?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom10331 said:
He also said if you used it,it can propell something at the speed of light.
Is this true if it is can you explain it?:confused:
This is not true.

Garth

From what I understand is that in a particle accelerator you can create a small amount of anti-matter, but I don't know how it works but I am going to look into it.

Here is a good website I found about a month ago and forgot all about it till now:

http://livefromcern.web.cern.ch/livefromcern/antimatter/

Last edited by a moderator:
You must have mis-heard. Certainly it would make no sense to talk about having electrons, protons, etc. at the speed of light and then use the energy to be able to accelerate particles to the speed of light!

Maybe this way: If you pass a bunch of photons near a massive object (eg an atomic nucleus), it can separate into matter and antimatter.
When you have antimatter and some advanced technology, you could build rockets which permit the highest travel speeds - but still slightly less than the speed of light.

I had trouble identifying a questions but I suppose I could at least try to articulate some of the numerous misconceptions.
(1) Matter and antimatter are identical except mirror images (basically).
(2) Photons are their own antiparticle.
(3) Antimatter does not exist in matter, titanium included. They would quickly annihilate each other.
(4) Antimatter is created directly from energy via high speed particles collisions thanks to e=mc^2.
(5) The only thing propelled at the speed of light is the light (mainly gamma rays) produced when matter and antimatter come in contact and annihilate each other. It would make an excellent fuel though. A few grams could in principle run your car a few hundred thousand years.
(6) Matter and antimatter are always produced in pairs in the laboratory and must be magnetically trapped, separated, siphoned off, cooled, and contained. Well there's a few other tricks besides magnetic that can be used but that's more than I want to get into.
Hope that helps...

Related to The Secrets of Antimatter and Fast Propelling Technology

1. What is antimatter and why is it important in fast propelling technology?

Antimatter is the counterpoint of normal matter, composed of antiparticles with opposite charge. When antimatter and matter come into contact, they annihilate each other, releasing large amounts of energy. This energy can be harnessed for propulsion, making it a crucial component in fast propelling technology.

2. How is antimatter produced and stored for use in technology?

Antimatter is typically produced through high-energy collisions in particle accelerators. It is then stored in specialized containers, such as magnetic fields, to prevent it from coming into contact with matter and annihilating.

3. What are the potential applications of antimatter in technology?

Antimatter has the potential to revolutionize space travel by providing a highly efficient source of energy for propulsion. It could also be used in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in energy production.

4. What are the challenges in harnessing the power of antimatter for technology?

The main challenge is the production and storage of antimatter in large quantities. It is currently a very expensive and difficult process, and any small errors could lead to dangerous annihilation events. Additionally, there is still much research needed to fully understand and control antimatter.

5. Is it possible to create a completely antimatter-powered spacecraft?

While it is theoretically possible, it is currently not feasible with our current technology and understanding. The amount of antimatter needed for such a spacecraft would be extremely large and difficult to produce and store. However, with continued research and advancements, it may become a possibility in the future.