Solve for Focal Length of Convex Mirror: 1/50 + 1/20 = 1/-f

In summary, to find the focal length of a mirror, we can use the mirror equation 1/d0 + 1/di = 1/f and follow the convention of positive distances for objects and images in front of the mirror and negative distances for objects and images behind the mirror. We do not need to change the equation based on the sign of the focal length, as it will be determined by the math.
Aoiumi

Homework Statement

An object is placed 50 cm in front of a convex mirror and its image is found to be 20 cm behind the mirror. What is the focal length of the mirror?

Homework Equations

1/d0 + 1/di = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

1/50 + 1/20 = 1/-f
70/1000 = 1/-f
f = 14.28 cm. The book has this answer listed at -33.3 cm. I'm not sure if the book is incorrect or if I did something incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the rest of this post I am going to assume the following conventions:

The mirror equation is
[tex] \frac{1}{d_o} + \frac{1}{d_i} = \frac{1}{f} [/tex]
This equation applies to both convex and concave mirrors alike.

The convention is that the distances are positive if what they are measuring is in front of the mirror, and negative if behind the mirror. In other words, if the image is in front of the mirror then di is positive. If the image is behind the mirror then di is negative. The same goes for the object. (It goes without saying that the object will always be in front of the mirror. It doesn't even really make sense to put the object behind the mirror. It wouldn't have a reflection if it were placed behind the mirror. It just makes the convention easier to remember. Positive if in front of the mirror, negative if behind.)

Notice I haven't mentioned anything about the sign of focal length and how it relates to the equation. That's because I don't have to. Focal length signs work themselves out. There's another convention that says if the focal length is positive it's a concave mirror. If the focal length is negative it's convex. That same convention works with the above equation as-is.

Aoiumi said:

Homework Statement

An object is placed 50 cm in front of a convex mirror and its image is found to be 20 cm behind the mirror. What is the focal length of the mirror?

Homework Equations

1/d0 + 1/di = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

1/50 + 1/20 = 1/-f
Two things. Firstly, the image is said to be behind the mirror. That means the di is -20 cm. Not positive.

1/50 + 1/20 = 1/-f
Secondly, don't put the negative sign in front of f. Just leave f as it is in the [itex] \frac{1}{d_o} + \frac{1}{d_i} = \frac{1}{f} [/itex] equation. You don't need to change the equation.

If f turns out to be negative, meaning the mirror is convex, the math will tell you. You don't need to change the equation for this. As it turns out, the problem statement's assertion about the mirror being convex was superfluous information. It didn't need to tell you that to solve the problem. You could have figured that out just by doing the math.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you so much for your clear explanation!

1. What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a type of curved mirror that bulges outward, causing reflections to spread out. It is also known as a diverging mirror because light rays diverge or spread out after reflecting off its surface.

2. How is focal length defined for a convex mirror?

The focal length of a convex mirror is defined as the distance from the mirror's surface to the point where light rays parallel to the mirror's axis converge after being reflected.

3. What does the equation 1/50 + 1/20 = 1/-f represent?

This equation is known as the lens/mirror equation and it represents the relationship between the object distance (1/50), image distance (1/20), and focal length (1/-f) of a convex mirror. It is used to calculate the focal length of the mirror.

4. How do you solve for the focal length of a convex mirror using the equation?

To solve for the focal length, you can rearrange the equation to have 1/-f on one side and the object and image distances on the other side. Then, simply plug in the given values and solve for 1/-f. Finally, take the reciprocal of the calculated value to get the focal length in meters.

5. Can the focal length of a convex mirror be negative?

Yes, the focal length of a convex mirror can be negative. This indicates that the focal point is located behind the mirror, meaning the reflected light rays do not actually converge but appear to do so when traced back. It is a virtual focal point and is denoted by a negative value.