Spherical Shell in External Field

In summary: E = E_0 Cos(\theta) (1+2\frac{b^3}{r^3} ) \widehat{r}-E_0 Sin(\theta) (1-\frac{b^3}{r^3} )\widehat{\theta} Which gives me a potential of V = -E_0 Sin(\theta) (1-\frac{b^3}{r^3})
why12

Homework Statement

An uncharged hollow conducting spherical shell with inner and outer radii a,b respectively
is placed into otherwise uniform electric field E. Calculate the induced charge density at a and b and electric field everywhere
Solution for E ,r>b
[tex]E = E_0 (\widehat{E_0}+\frac{3\widehat{r}Cos(\theta)-\widehat{E_0}}{r^3}b^3)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Poisson Equation
maxwells equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously E = 0 for r<b
The problem seems very similar to shell at radius R=b
in which case using the
[tex]V = \Sigma (A_l r^l + \frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}})P_l (Cos(\theta))[/tex]
with boundary condition that V=0 in conductor gives the
[tex]\sigma = \frac{3}{4\pi}E_0 Cos(\theta)[/tex] in outer surface (right answer)
but wrong answer for the potential
[tex]V = -E_0 Cos(\theta) (r-\frac{b^3}{r^2})[/tex]
for the potential which is not the same as book when taking negative
divergence

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question here? The solution to this problem is identical to the ungrounded conducting shell of radius R = b in a (previously) uniform electric field. The Uniqueness Theorem guarantees that. Grounding makes no difference. Since the potential cannot be zero at infinity (why?), you can specify it to be zero (or any value you wish) on the surface.

kuruman said:
Is there a question here? The solution to this problem is identical to the ungrounded conducting shell of radius R = b in a (previously) uniform electric field. The Uniqueness Theorem guarantees that. Grounding makes no difference. Since the potential cannot be zero at infinity (why?), you can specify it to be zero (or any value you wish) on the surface.
I get a different E field than the one in the solution which I give the problem statement. I am not sure if I am doing it right and the book has a wrong solution. As seen in my attempt I assumed it was the same as a shell of radius R=b and proceeded to solve for the boundary conditions but I did not get the same answer as the book

Let's start with potentials. What is the book's answer for the potential? What is your answer for the potential? Write them down side by side and then we will figure out the rest.

The book doesn't have a solution for the voltage just the E field, and my E field is
[tex] E = E_0 Cos(\theta) (1+2\frac{b^3}{r^3} ) \widehat{r}-E_0 Sin(\theta) (1-\frac{b^3}{r^3} )\widehat{\theta} [/tex]
with my E-field along z-axis.
I get that from doing taking divergence of V and multiplying by -1.

why12 said:
The book doesn't have a solution for the voltage just the E field, and my E field is
[tex] E = E_0 Cos(\theta) (1+2\frac{b^3}{r^3} ) \widehat{r}-E_0 Sin(\theta) (1-\frac{b^3}{r^3} )\widehat{\theta} [/tex]
with my E-field along z-axis.
I get that from doing taking divergence of V and multiplying by -1.
Actually you need to take the negative gradient not divergence, but I think you did it right. However, you still did not tell me what your potential V(r) is. I need to see what it looks like, because that's the starting point.

this is my potential
from the boundary conditions at r=b and r infinity.
[tex]
V = -E_0 Cos(\theta) (r-\frac{b^3}{r^2})
[/tex]

Good. This is the correct potential. You know it is correct because it is a solution to Laplace's equation and matches the boundary conditions. Now calculate the surface charge density from this using

[tex]\sigma=-\frac{1}{\epsilon_0}\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}|_{r=b}[/tex]

What do you get?

[tex]
\sigma = \frac{3}{4\pi}E_0 Cos(\theta)
[/tex]

Can you show the details of your calculation? Specifically where did the factor of 4π in the denominator come from?

No I took the derivative and thought translating SI to Gaussian made the 1/4pi but that is for k not epsilon.

there is no 4 pi term but the solution in the book has a 4pi term which means none of my answers are the same as the book.

I somehow missed that you were working in gaussian units. First let me correct my expression in post #8 for anyone who cares to read this thread. In the SI system the correct expression for the surface charge density should be

[tex]\sigma=-\epsilon_0\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}[/tex]

In the gaussian system it should be

[tex]\sigma=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}[/tex]

Note that the potential, as you have written it, is the same in the gaussian and SI systems. So your expression for the surface charge density is correct after all. Your original question is that your potential is incorrect. What makes you think that?

Last edited:
where does the [tex]4\pi
[/tex]
come from because I thought [tex]\epsilon_0=1
[/tex].

I think my potential is wrong because when I calculate the electric field I get
[tex]
E = E_0 Cos(\theta) (1+2\frac{b^3}{r^3} ) \widehat{r}-E_0 Sin(\theta) (1-\frac{b^3}{r^3} )\widehat{\theta}
[/tex]

but the book has this as the electric field
[tex]
E = E_0 (\widehat{E_0}+\frac{3\widehat{r}Cos(\theta)-\widehat{E_0}}{r^3}b^3)
[/tex]

where [tex]
\widehat{E_0} = \widehat{z}
[/tex]

why12 said:
where does the [tex]4\pi
[/tex]
come from because I thought [tex]\epsilon_0=1
[/tex].
The expression relating the surface charge density too the electric field is essentially derived from Gauss's Law. In the SI system Gauss's Law is

[tex]\nabla \cdot E=\rho/\epsilon_0[/tex]

In the gaussian system it is

[tex]\nabla \cdot E=4 \pi \rho[/tex]

To go from SI to gaussian you replace 1/ε0 with 4π (or ε0 with 1/4π).

I think my potential is wrong because when I calculate the electric field I get
[tex]
E = E_0 Cos(\theta) (1+2\frac{b^3}{r^3} ) \widehat{r}-E_0 Sin(\theta) (1-\frac{b^3}{r^3} )\widehat{\theta}
[/tex]

but the book has this as the electric field
[tex]
E = E_0 (\widehat{E_0}+\frac{3\widehat{r}Cos(\theta)-\widehat{E_0}}{r^3}b^3)
[/tex]

where [tex]
\widehat{E_0} = \widehat{z}
[/tex]
Have you tried reconciling the two expressions? What if you expressed theta-hat in your expression in terms of E0-hat and r-hat?

kuruman said:
The expression relating the surface charge density too the electric field is essentially derived from Gauss's Law. In the SI system Gauss's Law is

[tex]\nabla \cdot E=\rho/\epsilon_0[/tex]

In the gaussian system it is

[tex]\nabla \cdot E=4 \pi \rho[/tex]

To go from SI to gaussian you replace 1/ε0 with 4π (or ε0 with 1/4π).Have you tried reconciling the two expressions? What if you expressed theta-hat in your expression in terms of E0-hat and r-hat?

[tex] \widehat{\theta} = \frac{\widehat{\rho} - \widehat{z}}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] and
[tex]\widehat{r} = \frac{\widehat{\rho} + \widehat{z}}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex]
this gives
[tex] \widehat{\theta} = \widehat{r} - \frac{\widehat{E_0}}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex]
which gives

[tex] E = E_0 \frac{\sin(\theta)}{\sqrt{2}} (1-\frac{b^3}{r^3})\widehat{E_0} + [(1+2\frac{b^3}{r^3})\cos(\theta)-(1-\frac{b^3}{r^3})\sin(\theta)]\widehat{r} [/tex]
this is only the same if on the left term sine is equal to 1 and in the right term the sine is a cosine

Last edited:
why12 said:
[tex] \widehat{\theta} = \frac{\widehat{\rho} - \widehat{z}}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] and
[tex]\widehat{r} = \frac{\widehat{\rho} + \widehat{z}}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex]
These expressions are not generally true; they are valid when θ = 45o
This is what you do:
1. Start from your expression and add and subtract

[tex]E_0\frac{r^3}{b^3}Cos(\theta)\widehat{r}[/tex]

Note that what you get already has part of what you need
[tex]3 E_0 Cos(\theta)\frac{r^3}{b^3}\widehat{r}[/tex]

2. For the rest of the terms factor out
[tex]\left (\widehat{r}Cos(\theta)-\widehat{\theta}Sin(\theta) \right)[/tex]

which is really [tex]\widehat{z}[/tex] and you are done.

Last edited:
that sounds right.
Is this the most concise way to solve this problem.

why12 said:
that sounds right.
Is this the most concise way to solve this problem.
Probably. Note that the answer in the book is given in a mixed bag of unit vectors, cartesian and spherical. The quickest way is to start from the potential in spherical coordinates to match the symmetry of the problem and then take the gradient. After that, you need to get rid of theta-hat. You might be able to find a clever way of taking the gradient using the chain rule so that the E-field in the book immediately pops out, but I am not sure if it is more concise because you still need an extra derivation step at least.

1. What is a spherical shell in an external field?

A spherical shell in an external field refers to a physical system where a spherical object is placed in an external force or field, such as a gravitational or electric field. This creates a potential energy gradient that affects the motion and behavior of the spherical shell.

2. How does an external field affect a spherical shell?

The external field affects the spherical shell by creating a potential energy gradient that causes the shell to experience a force. This force can result in the shell moving or deforming in response to the external field.

3. What is the relationship between the external field and the potential energy of a spherical shell?

The external field directly affects the potential energy of a spherical shell. The potential energy of the shell is directly proportional to the external field, meaning that as the external field increases, so does the potential energy of the shell.

4. How does the thickness of a spherical shell affect its behavior in an external field?

The thickness of a spherical shell can affect its behavior in an external field. A thicker shell will have a greater resistance to deformation and may require a stronger external field to cause significant changes in its behavior. On the other hand, a thinner shell may be more easily affected by the external field and may deform more readily.

5. Are there any real-world applications of spherical shells in external fields?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of spherical shells in external fields. For example, understanding the behavior of planets and stars in gravitational fields, studying the behavior of electrons in an atom's electric field, and analyzing the behavior of cells in a biological system are all examples of how spherical shells in external fields are used in various fields of science.