Is a Spin 2 Particle the Key to Understanding Gravitation in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary,The author learned that a quantum mechanical description of gravity does not require a spin-2 particle. Feynman tried to derive GTR from the assumption of a spin-2 particle, but it was not renormizable. GTR appears to be not renormizable and must couple to the same thing that GR does - the stress-energy tensor.
Omega0
I have some questions regarding the expected exchange particles for gravitation.
From my understanding the following was valid:
  • We can linearize the equations of GTR for weak fields
  • "Quantum mechanics" (Schrödinger, Dirac equations) are linear
  • Those linear equations allow eigenstates and eigenvalues
  • If we take the linearized equations of GTR we expect a tensor wave, not a dipole
  • This fits to a spin 2 particle for the exchange (TT gauge)
  • A strongly non-linear Hamiltonian operator like the square root, does not produce an eigensystem
Please let me know if the points above are so far correct.
From a popular scientific book written by a physicist I learned short ago that Feynman tried to derive GTR from the assumption of a spin 2 particle. Here is hopefully the correct material: Feynman Quantum theory of gravitation - UMass Blogs
What I remember from my QFT lessons is that GTR appears to be not renormizable which also Feynman needed to agree with in the discussion above.

My main question is:

How should we know that we have a spin 2 exchange particle for a quantum mechanical description which is not even given as a theory?

I hope I formulated it right, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what GRT is supposed to be - General Relativity Today? But in any event if you want a quantum theory of gravity to map on to GR at large scales, it needs to couple to the same thing that GR does: the stress-energy tensor. The minimum spin that can do that is 2.

Likes topsquark
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not sure what GRT is supposed to be - General Relativity Today? But in any event if you want a quantum theory of gravity to map on to GR at large scales, it needs to couple to the same thing that GR does: the stress-energy tensor. The minimum spin that can do that is 2.
I changed it to GTR, you are right. In Germany we write ART, this is where the confusion came from. Sorry.

Likes Grelbr42 and vanhees71
Omega0 said:
How should we know that we have a spin 2 exchange particle for a quantum mechanical description which is not even given as a theory?
You are incorrect; it is given as a theory. The quantum field theory of a massless spin-2 field was worked out in the 1960s and early 1970s by Feynman, Deser, and many others. Its properties, which include the fact that the field equation for this field is the Einstein Field Equation, and therefore the classical limit of this QFT is General Relativity, have been known since those efforts were completed.

Likes PeroK, vanhees71 and Omega0
A good overview of the QFT I described in post #4 is this paper by Deser, which was published in 1970 but which was reprinted and posted to arxiv.org (if only all of the classic historical papers in physics were treated this way):

https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0411023

• Wow
Likes andresB, vanhees71, Demystifier and 1 other person
Omega0 said:
Here is hopefully the correct material: Feynman Quantum theory of gravitation - UMass Blogs
This is an early paper in the course of the theoretical work I described in post #4.

Omega0 said:
What I remember from my QFT lessons is that GTR appears to be not renormizable
That's correct. The simplest way to see that is to note that the coupling constant in the theory, which is Newton's gravitational constant (the exact value depends on your choice of units), is not dimensionless; in "natural" units of QFT, in which ##\hbar = c = 1##, it has dimensions of (IIRC) inverse length squared. That makes the QFT non-renormalizable by simple power counting arguments.

Likes vanhees71 and Omega0
Omega0 said:
We can linearize the equations of GTR for weak fields
Yes, but doing that leaves out all of the phenomena of gravity other than weak gravitational waves in a flat background spacetime. Which isn't very much to have left.

Omega0 said:
"Quantum mechanics" (Schrödinger, Dirac equations) are linear
The non-relativistic versions are. However, when we incorporate relativity, we have to use quantum field theory, and for a QFT to be linear, the field must have no self-interaction. That is true of the Maxwell field (i.e., the photon field--the quantum electromagnetic field), but it isn't true of the Einstein field (i.e., the graviton--the quantum gravitational field, in the spin-2 QFT I described in post #4). (It also isn't true of Yang-Mills fields in general; in fact, the Maxwell field is the only commonly used QFT that is linear.)

Omega0 said:
Those linear equations allow eigenstates and eigenvalues
This isn't really relevant; you can still do things like scattering theory and searching for non-perturbative solutions in a nonlinear QFT.

Omega0 said:
If we take the linearized equations of GTR we expect a tensor wave, not a dipole
I would say "quadrupole" instead of "tensor"--or, alternatively, you could say "vector" instead of "dipole". Or you could just say "spin-2" and "spin-1", as you note:

Omega0 said:
This fits to a spin 2 particle for the exchange (TT gauge)
Yes. See above.

Omega0 said:
A strongly non-linear Hamiltonian operator like the square root, does not produce an eigensystem
While a square root does appear in the simplest relativistic Lagrangian for a single point particle, that isn't really relevant to the spin-2 QFT I described in post #4. The Lagrangian for that QFT is simply the Einstein-Hilbert Lagrangian, which has no square root.

Likes vanhees71
Omega0 said:
What I remember from my QFT lessons is that GTR appears to be not renormizable which also Feynman needed to agree with in the discussion above.

My main question is:

The theory does not need to be renormalizable in order to be given as a theory. A non-renormalizable theory can still be used as an effective theory, applicable at low energies.

Likes vanhees71, gentzen and malawi_glenn
Demystifier said:
The theory does not need to be renormalizable in order to be given as a theory. A non-renormalizable theory can still be used as an effective theory, applicable at low energies.
True, but if the theory is non-renormizable it can never be used at high energies, or in other words: It does not describe gravitation correctly.
Right?

Likes vanhees71
Omega0 said:
True, but if the theory is non-renormizable it can never be used at high energies, or in other words: It does not describe gravitation correctly.
Right?
What does even "correctly" mean?

All QFT's (of point particles) are today seen as some effective theory at some point. It all boils down to at what energy scales you are interested in and what accuracy you demand.

Likes dextercioby, PeterDonis, Demystifier and 2 others
Omega0 said:
f the theory is non-renormizable it can never be used at high energies
In principle this is true, but what "high energies" means can vary greatly with the theory. In the case of the QFT of a massless spin-2 field, "high energies" means Planck scale energies. In other words, energies many orders of magnitude higher than we can either observe anywhere in our universe or create in experiments ourselves, now and for the foreseeable future.

Omega0 said:
in other words: It does not describe gravitation correctly.
More precisely, it cannot be a correct fundamental theory of gravity at the energy scales where the non-renormalizability becomes significant. As above, that is the Planck scale for the spin-2 QFT for gravity. So the theory can't be the correct description of gravity at that scale. But that does not in any way prevent it from being a very accurate description of gravity at lower energy scales--like all of the energy scales we have ever observed or will be able to observe for the foreseeable future.

Likes gentzen
Omega0 said:
I have some questions regarding the expected exchange particles for gravitation.
From my understanding the following was valid:
  • We can linearize the equations of GTR for weak fields
  • "Quantum mechanics" (Schrödinger, Dirac equations) are linear
  • Those linear equations allow eigenstates and eigenvalues
  • If we take the linearized equations of GTR we expect a tensor wave, not a dipole
  • This fits to a spin 2 particle for the exchange (TT gauge)
  • A strongly non-linear Hamiltonian operator like the square root, does not produce an eigensystem
Please let me know if the points above are so far correct.
From a popular scientific book written by a physicist I learned short ago that Feynman tried to derive GTR from the assumption of a spin 2 particle. Here is hopefully the correct material: Feynman Quantum theory of gravitation - UMass Blogs

My main question is:

I hope I formulated it right, thanks.
I think it is cool to mention that, while seen as a particle, the graviton indeed provides non-renormalizable results. But, if avaliated as a string excitation, and then the Feynman diagrams being smooth 2-dimensional surfaces, there are no ultraviolet divergences at all.

LCSphysicist said:
f avaliated as a string excitation, and then the Feynman diagrams being smooth 2-dimensional surfaces, there are no ultraviolet divergences at all.
Yes, this has always been one of the big selling points of string theory, that it gives a nice simple underlying model that leads to the ordinary QFT of a massless spin-2 field as an effective theory for energies below the Planck scale. Unfortunately, string theory has not produced any testable predictions that would help us to evaluate whether this underlying model is actually true.

Likes vanhees71, gentzen and Omega0
PeterDonis said:
this underlying model is actually true
I know that you know that "true" is the wrong word here. Models can never give us the truth about nature.

Likes Omega0 and vanhees71
malawi_glenn said:
I know that you know that "true" is the wrong word here. Models can never give us the truth about nature.
If you like, read "makes accurate predictions" instead of "true".

Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71 and gentzen
PeterDonis said:
If you like, read "makes accurate predictions" instead of "true".
Which accurate prediction has been measured to be true so far?

Omega0 said:
Which accurate prediction has been measured to be true so far?
What I was saying in post #13, with the substitution I described in post #15, is that string theory has made no accurate predictions--because it has made no testable predictions, period. More precisely, it has made no testable predictions that are not also predictions of current theories, so it gives no way of distinguishing it from those theories.

Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71 and Omega0
PeterDonis said:
What I was saying in post #13, with the substitution I described in post #15, is that string theory has made no accurate predictions--because it has made no testable predictions, period. More precisely, it has made no testable predictions that are not also predictions of current theories, so it gives no way of distinguishing it from those theories.
Oh, sorry about the confusion. I wanted to ask: What are the accurate predictions of the Feynman quantum gravity which have been measured so far?

Last edited:
Omega0 said:
I wanted to ask: What are the accurate predictions of the Feynman quantum relativity which have been measured so far?
There aren't any. We have no experimental evidence at all about any quantum aspects of gravity. Nor do we have any expectation of getting any any time soon, since such aspects are not expected to be significant except at the Planck scale. All we know experimentally is that the classical limit of this theory, namely General Relativity, is an accurate description of gravity at all of the scales we can probe.

PeterDonis said:
There aren't any. We have no experimental evidence at all about any quantum aspects of gravity. Nor do we have any expectation of getting any any time soon, since such aspects are not expected to be significant except at the Planck scale.
Would you say that there is another predictive theory avoiding problems at the Planck scale?

Omega0 said:
Would you say that there is another predictive theory avoiding problems at the Planck scale?
I don't know of any predictive theory that covers the Planck scale. All we have are various speculations about quantum gravity (string theory and loop quantum gravity seem to be the two main contenders right now), none of which make any testable predictions.

I will ask a question somewhat related to the topic. In what way does the analogy (classical) em. waves > photons vs. (classical) gravitational waves > gravitons is true or fails, and a subsequent (equivalent) question: if measurements on em. waves can be seen as probing the collective behavior of photons, can't we interpret recent experimental findings on gravitational waves as probing the collective behavior of gravitons?

dextercioby said:
can be seen as probing the collective behavior of photons, can't we interpret recent experimental findings on gravitational waves as probing the collective behavior of gravitons?
Isn't this the picture Schrödinger tried to establish, before the Copenhagen picture was accepted? Now in the gravitation world? Why shouldn't we say that we have a pure wave effect where gravitons doesn't play a role?
I think we shouldn't go to the past to save the picture of a wave build by particles.

dextercioby said:
I will ask a question somewhat related to the topic. In what way does the analogy (classical) em. waves > photons vs. (classical) gravitational waves > gravitons is true or fails, and a subsequent (equivalent) question: if measurements on em. waves can be seen as probing the collective behavior of photons, can't we interpret recent experimental findings on gravitational waves as probing the collective behavior of gravitons?
It can not! Take the classical limit, i.e., high-intensity states of the em. field. In QED these are described by coherent states and not by "collective behavior of photons".

If there were some quantum-field theory of gravitation in the same sense as for QED, the classical limit were gravitational waves, on the quantum level described by corresponding coherent states rather than "collective behavior of gravitons". Indeed for a few years we can observe classical gravitational waves, but I don't know of any empirical evidence for any quantum behavior.

Likes Omega0 and gentzen
vanhees71 said:
It can not! Take the classical limit, i.e., high-intensity states of the em. field. In QED these are described by coherent states and not by "collective behavior of photons".
Exactly! Which is the "Copenhagen outcome". Why shouldn't it be different for a QM of gravity? I believe, it should be the same.

We do not have "a QM of gravity". For sure, it's not QM anyway, because we want a relativistic description. I've also no clue, what this has to do with any of the zillions of unclearly defined Copenhagen interpretations. I'm also pretty sure that the question about a quantum theory of the gravitational interaction won't in any way be solved by any philosophy or metaphysics but by an ingenious mathematica insight by some theorist. The biggest problem is the lack of any empirical evidence for quantum phenomena of gravity.

• Informative
Likes Omega0
vanhees71 said:
If there were some quantum-field theory of gravitation in the same sense as for QED, the classical limit were gravitational waves, on the quantum level described by corresponding coherent states rather than "collective behavior of gravitons". Indeed for a few years we can observe classical gravitational waves, but I don't know of any empirical evidence for any quantum behavior.
In String theory for example, if we have a background spacetime with metric ##\eta## then any other classical metric ##g## is generated from coherent states of spin-2 excitations upon this background.

• Love
Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn

1. What is a Spin 2 Particle?

A Spin 2 Particle is a hypothetical particle that is predicted by certain theories in physics, such as string theory and quantum field theory. It is believed to have a spin quantum number of 2, which refers to its intrinsic angular momentum.

2. How does a Spin 2 Particle relate to gravitation in quantum mechanics?

According to some theories, a Spin 2 Particle could be the key to understanding the force of gravity in the context of quantum mechanics. This is because it is believed to be the carrier particle of the gravitational force, similar to how the photon is the carrier particle of the electromagnetic force.

3. What evidence do we have for the existence of a Spin 2 Particle?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of a Spin 2 Particle. However, some theories, such as string theory, predict its existence. Additionally, there have been experiments conducted at the Large Hadron Collider that have searched for the particle, but so far, none have been found.

4. How would the discovery of a Spin 2 Particle impact our understanding of quantum mechanics?

If a Spin 2 Particle is discovered, it could potentially revolutionize our understanding of quantum mechanics. It would provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces of nature and could potentially lead to the unification of all the forces into one unified theory.

5. What are some potential applications of a Spin 2 Particle?

If a Spin 2 Particle is discovered and its properties are fully understood, it could have many practical applications. For example, it could lead to advancements in technology, such as more efficient energy production and transportation. It could also have implications for space exploration and our understanding of the universe.