Solving a Spinning Bike Wheel Homework Problem

In summary, the problem is that the bike wheel is turned in the opposite direction from what is stated in the problem.
bmoore509

Homework Statement

{Number 5 on attachment. It has picture.}

When a spinning bike wheel is placed hor-
izontally, hung from a pivot at one end, the
axis of rotation of the wheel will swing in a
horizontal circle.

In which direction does it turn (as viewed
from above)?
1. downward
2. horizontally, CCW
3. upward
4. horizontally, CW

Homework Equations

Any? I'm unsure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that it was downward, but I'm not sure how to prove my answer. (We're supposed to show work.) Any help?

Attachments

• problem_pdf.pdf
    37.7 KB · Views: 672
Physics news on Phys.org
I could not find the question or picture of a bicycle wheel in the attachment. I can't wrap my mind around "hung from a pivot at one end". I would think we would have to know from which end or which way the wheel is spinning to distinguish between answers.

Delphi51 said:
I could not find the question or picture of a bicycle wheel in the attachment. I can't wrap my mind around "hung from a pivot at one end". I would think we would have to know from which end or which way the wheel is spinning to distinguish between answers.

It was problem five on the attachment. I opened it up to check and if you read that problem, that's it.

I see problem 1, 2, 3 . . . and then it jumps to 7 or 8.
A search for the word "bike" in the pdf document returns "not found".

What about this upload?

I just don't get it because I see it. It's supposed to be on a column on the right side in the pdf.

The Torque is on the right side, going upwards. The wheel is to the left of it on an axis that starts where the Torque is. The wheel is turned a little from our view but if you look at it dead on, it's going counter clockwise. The arrow is going counter clock wise.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 495
I see it now! Not at all what it appeared to be from the words alone. Unfortunately I forget how to do it.
I suggest you post the problem again; people might not want to step into a thread with 6 posts.

FAQ: Solving a Spinning Bike Wheel Homework Problem

1. How do I approach solving a spinning bike wheel homework problem?

To solve a spinning bike wheel homework problem, you should first understand the concepts of angular velocity, angular acceleration, and torque. Then, you can use equations such as F = ma and τ = Iα to calculate the forces and torque acting on the wheel. It is also helpful to draw a free body diagram to visualize the forces.

2. What is the difference between linear and angular motion in a spinning bike wheel?

Linear motion refers to movement in a straight line, while angular motion refers to movement around a fixed point. In a spinning bike wheel, both types of motion are present. The linear motion is the movement of the bike forward, while the angular motion is the rotation of the wheel around its axis.

3. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for a spinning bike wheel?

The moment of inertia for a spinning bike wheel can be calculated using the equation I = mr², where m is the mass of the wheel and r is the radius. If the shape of the wheel is not uniform, you can use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia.

4. How does friction affect the spinning of a bike wheel?

Friction can cause the bike wheel to slow down or stop spinning. This is because friction creates a force that opposes the motion of the wheel. Friction can also cause the bike to lose balance and fall if it is too strong. To reduce the effects of friction, lubrication can be used on the bearings and other moving parts of the bike.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving spinning bike wheel problems?

Solving spinning bike wheel problems can be applied to real-life situations such as designing and improving bike wheels for better performance and stability. It can also be used in sports such as cycling and skateboarding to understand the physics behind the motions and techniques used. Additionally, understanding the forces and torque acting on a spinning bike wheel can be helpful in preventing accidents and injuries while riding a bike.

Back