Splitting an integral with an absolute value

In summary, the individual is seeking help with splitting an integral in a physics problem with a focus on the calculus portion. They are struggling with how to write the lower part of the integral and are considering doubling the integral from 0 to infinity but are unsure due to the presence of x/x_0. Another individual suggests integrating by parts, but the original individual is unsure how the two integrals would be related.
Koshi
This is a physics problem, but I only need help with the calculus portion of it. I was having trouble figuring out how to split the integral to properly integrate.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{-\infty}[/tex](x/x_0)e-2|x|/x_0dx

where x_o is a constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering how to write the lower part of the integral. What I have is

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{0}{-\infty}[/tex](x/x_0)e2x/x_0dx+[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{0}[/tex](x/x_0)e-2x/x_0dx

Is that right or should I keep the negative in front of the 2 in the lower integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got it right. But there is an easy way to do your integral. If f(x) is the integrand, how does f(x) compare with f(-x)?

Fixed the LaTeX in your first integral. Double-click it to see what I did.
Here are some tips:
Use only a single pair of [ tex] and [ /tex] tags (without the leading spaces that I show) for a given expression. You had tex tags around almost every item.
Don't mix [ sup] and [ sub] tags inside [ tex] tags. They don't work. Instead use ^{} for superscripts and _{} for subscripts.
Koshi said:
This is a physics problem, but I only need help with the calculus portion of it. I was having trouble figuring out how to split the integral to properly integrate.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(x/x_0)e^{-2|x|/x_0} dx[/tex]

where x_o is a constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I was wondering how to write the lower part of the integral. What I have is

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{0}{-\infty}[/tex](x/x_0)e2x/x_0dx+[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{0}[/tex](x/x_0)e-2x/x_0dx

Is that right or should I keep the negative in front of the 2 in the lower integral?

Mark44 said:
Fixed the LaTeX in your first integral. Double-click it to see what I did.

Thanks for the fix. I was struggling with it :P

Dick said:
You've got it right. But there is an easy way to do your integral. If f(x) is the integrand, how does f(x) compare with f(-x)?

I was thinking I could just double the integral from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex] but because there was an x/x_0 in front and I would have to integrate by parts, I reasoned against it.

I wouldn't know how else to simplify it.

Koshi said:
I was thinking I could just double the integral from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex] but because there was an x/x_0 in front and I would have to integrate by parts, I reasoned against it.

I wouldn't know how else to simplify it.

Yes, if you want to do the integral from 0 to infinity you should integrate by parts. But you can't double it to get the whole integral because the integral from -infinity to 0 isn't the same. How are the two integrals related? You could, of course, just do the integration and find out... But you would be going to a lot of extra work.

Related to Splitting an integral with an absolute value

What is "splitting an integral with an absolute value"?

Splitting an integral with an absolute value is a method used to evaluate integrals that contain absolute value bars. It involves breaking the integral into multiple parts and using different approaches to solve each part.

Why do we need to split integrals with absolute values?

Integrals with absolute values can be difficult to solve using traditional integration techniques. Splitting the integral allows us to use different methods for each part, making the problem more manageable and easier to solve.

What are the steps to split an integral with an absolute value?

The general steps for splitting an integral with an absolute value are:

1. Identify the intervals where the argument of the absolute value function changes sign.
  2. Split the integral into multiple parts, one for each interval.
  3. In each part, rewrite the absolute value function as a piecewise function.
  4. Solve each part using appropriate integration techniques.
  5. Combine the solutions for each part to get the final answer.

What are some common integration techniques used when splitting integrals with absolute values?

Some common integration techniques used when splitting integrals with absolute values are:

• Substitution
  • Integration by parts
  • Partial fractions
  • Trigonometric identities

Are there any special cases to consider when splitting an integral with an absolute value?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when splitting an integral with an absolute value:

• If the absolute value function is squared, the resulting integral may require use of the trigonometric identity cos2(x) = (1/2)(1 + cos(2x)) to solve.
  • If the argument of the absolute value function is a polynomial with even degree, it may be helpful to use the substitution u = x2 to solve.
  • For integrals with multiple absolute value functions, it may be necessary to split the integral into even smaller parts.