Splitting field with Galios group A4

In summary, the polynomial x^4+8x+12=0 has the Galois group A4. Its roots are \alpha_1=\sqrt{2}(\sqrt{\cos{(\pi/9)}}+i\sqrt{\cos{(2\pi/9)}}+i\sqrt{\cos{(4\pi/9)}}), \alpha_2=\sqrt{2}(\sqrt{\cos{(\pi/9)}} - i\sqrt{\cos{(2\pi/9)}}-i\sqrt{\cos{(4\pi/9)}}), \alpha_3=\sqrt{2
Jim Kata
the polynomial x^4+8x+12=0 has the Galois group A4. I have all its roots, but can't figure out its splitting field. The roots are
[tex]\alpha_1=\sqrt{2}(\sqrt{\cos{(\pi/9)}}+i\sqrt{\cos{(2\pi/9)}}+i\sqrt{\cos{(4\pi/9)}})[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_2=\sqrt{2}(\sqrt{\cos{(\pi/9)}} - i\sqrt{\cos{(2\pi/9)}}-i\sqrt{\cos{(4\pi/9)}})[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_3=\sqrt{2}(-\sqrt{\cos{(\pi/9)}} + i\sqrt{\cos{(2\pi/9)}}-i\sqrt{\cos{(4\pi/9)}})[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_4=\sqrt{2}(-\sqrt{\cos{(\pi/9)}} - i\sqrt{\cos{(2\pi/9)}}+i\sqrt{\cos{(4\pi/9)}})[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what do you mean? its the field generated by those roots. do you want a smaller set of generators? (presumably two of those would do.)

hellooo?

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I don't think it is as simple as just attaching two roots since the degree of the field in that case wouldn't be twelve.

Jim Kata said:
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but I don't think it is as simple as just attaching two roots since the degree of the field in that case wouldn't be twelve.
Why not?

What can you say about, e.g., the minimal polynomial of a2 in the field Q(a1)?

It can't be x4 + 8x + 12, because this polynomial is reducible over Q(a1)! (it has a root)

Last edited:
I think I get what you're saying let me mess with this idea for a bit and get back to you.

Here is where I am at.

[tex]x^4+8x+12=(x-\alpha_1)(x-\alpha_2)(x-\alpha_3)(x-\alpha_4)=(x^3+\alpha_1x^2+{\alpha_1}^2x+({\alpha_1}^3+8))(x-\alpha_1)=0[/tex]

So I define [tex]F \equiv \mathbb{Q}(\alpha_1)[/tex] So it is obvious that the coefficients of that cubic are in the field [tex]F \equiv \mathbb{Q}(\alpha_1)[/tex] and that the roots of that cubic are [tex] \alpha_2, \alpha_3, \alpha_4[/tex] but it is not obvious to me that [tex]\alpha_3[/tex] can be written in terms of [tex] \alpha_2[/tex] and the field [tex]\mathbb{Q}(\alpha_1)[/tex] making the the Galois group of the cubic [tex]\mathbb{Z_3}[/tex]

I guess I just have to assume that's the case since if it wasn't the Galois group would be S4 not A4. In that case I get a splitting field:
[tex]\mathbb{Q}(\alpha_1,\alpha_2)= A +B\alpha_1 + C{\alpha_1}^2 + D{\alpha_1}^3 + E\alpha_2 + F\alpha_1\alpha_2 +G{\alpha_1}^2\alpha_2 +H{\alpha_1}^3\alpha_2 + I{\alpha_2}^2 + J\alpha_1{\alpha_2}^2 + K{\alpha_1}^2{\alpha_2}^2 +L{\alpha_1}^3{\alpha_2}^2[/tex] Is this correct?

1. What is a splitting field?

A splitting field is a field extension that contains all the roots of a given polynomial. In other words, it is the smallest field in which a polynomial can be factored into linear factors.

2. What is the Galois group A4?

The Galois group A4 is a subgroup of the symmetric group S4, which contains all possible permutations of four elements. It is the group of all even permutations of four objects.

3. What is the relationship between splitting fields and Galois groups?

The Galois group of a polynomial is closely related to the structure of its splitting field. In particular, the order of the Galois group is equal to the degree of the splitting field over the base field.

4. How is the Galois group A4 related to splitting fields?

The Galois group A4 has an important role in the theory of polynomial equations. It is the smallest non-abelian group, which means it cannot be expressed as a direct product of two smaller groups. This property makes it a useful tool in determining the structure of splitting fields.

5. Can the Galois group A4 be used to solve equations?

Yes, the Galois group A4 can be used to solve polynomial equations. In particular, the group structure of A4 can give insight into the solvability of an equation by radicals, which is a way of expressing the roots of a polynomial using only the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and taking roots.