Splitting infrared and visible light.

• Thread starter hyderjoe
  • Start date
Hi all, is there an efficient way of splitting both of these waves of sunlight?? I've came across this link and thought of an idea of using a prism. But, do you think that is is efficient? ( I'm gonna use this to collect both light and heat from sunlight for energy generation). Thanks!

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2018 Award
I'd say check the specifications for the material used to construct the prism and see how much of each wavelength range is transferred through. Purely offhand I would say it is efficient, but bulky and heavy if you are wanting to generate power by collecting the light.

I wonder if the temperature difference of the both ends of spectrum will be big or not, I won't want my solar cell to burn up (i'm using fresnel lens to focus the sunlight)

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hi all, is there an efficient way of splitting both of these waves of sunlight?? I've came across this link and thought of an idea of using a prism. But, do you think that is is efficient? ( I'm gonna use this to collect both light and heat from sunlight for energy generation). Thanks!
google 'cold mirror' or the like. You can fairly easily find long-pass filters at (nearly) any wavelength you like:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/products/browse.cfm?categoryid=41&subcatid=1808,1809 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your info, it really help much! But I've a question, how well does the cold mirror tolerate heat? Does it cracks easily if I were to concentrate sunlight on it?? Thanks

It will work just fine in direct sunlight.

yeah, but will it crack when heated? because the mirror I'm getting has small dimension, I'll need to focus sunlight for sufficient light for energy collection...

Do remember that IR, UV and visible light aren't discrete single frequencies. They are a range of frequencies. I was also thinking of filters rather than a prism. You just need to decide what range of frequencies you wish to collect and locate filters that will do the job. Keep us posted on what you use and how well it works. This is very interesting.

I just checked the price for cold mirror, they're not cheap...