Calculate Torque: Solve the Equation!

• Thread starter TBBTs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving torque and the equation Torque = FR. The person asking the question is unsure of the value of R in the equation and the person responding clarifies that R represents the distance. The person asking the question also mentions trying to use angular velocity to solve the problem, but the responder explains that it is not necessary and asks for the angular counterpart to Newton's 2nd Law.
TBBTs

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/WrwsT.png
WrwsT.png

Homework Equations

Torque = FR

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I thought I need two torques because they are in oppsite direction

2) I tried use alpha find acceleration and find angular velocity and K=1/2 I omega^2

Physics news on Phys.org
TBBTs said:

Homework Equations

Torque = FR
What is R in that equation? (Please don't just say "the distance" ... what distance does the R signify?)

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I thought I need two torques because they are in oppsite direction
No, there is only one torque acting on the spool here. There is no friction, and the normal force does not exert a torque.

2) I tried use alpha find acceleration and find angular velocity and K=1/2 I omega^2
You don't need the angular velocity. What is the angular counterpart to Newton's 2nd Law, F=ma?

What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is important because it can determine the ability of an object to rotate or change its rotational motion.

How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The unit of torque is Newton-meters (Nm).

Can you provide an example of calculating torque?

Sure! Let's say you are trying to loosen a bolt with a wrench. If you apply a force of 10 Newtons to the end of the wrench, and the distance from the center of the bolt to the end of the wrench is 0.2 meters, the torque would be 10 N x 0.2 m = 2 Nm.

How does torque affect rotational motion?

The greater the torque applied to an object, the greater the rotational acceleration. This means that the object will rotate faster or with more force.

What are some real-life applications of torque?

Torque is used in various everyday objects, such as door handles, bicycle pedals, and car engines. It is also important in industrial machinery and tools for tasks such as tightening screws and bolts.