Spring Compression in Accelerating Elevator

In summary, a 75 kg student standing on a spring in an elevator that is accelerating upward at 3.0m/s2 with a spring constant of 2700 N/m must take into account both the weight and acceleration of the student when calculating the compression of the spring. This is due to Newton's third law, which states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Braindead90

Homework Statement

A 75 kg student is standing atop a spring in an elevator that is accelerating upward at 3.0m m/s2. The spring constant is 2700 N/m
By how much is the spring compressed?

Homework Equations

I know I have to use the spring constant formula in this

So 75kg*9.8m/s2=735N
And I thought that I just needed to just divide by 2700N/m and that equals .272222

The Attempt at a Solution

So I put in .2722m and it said I was wrong?
Is there something missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate elevator problems because you can't get away with using a = 9.81.
If the thing is accelerating upward with a = 3, you must take that into account.
You've got the mg and the ma combined. Would you expect your total "weight" to be larger or smaller when elevator is accelerating whichever way it is?

Newton's third law states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The elevator is exerting a force on the guy to get him accelerating upwards and the guy must exert an equal and opposite force down onto the floor of the elevator (or, in this case, the spring). Think about it. This is why you feel heavier when you are in an elevator which is going up.

Related to Spring Compression in Accelerating Elevator

1. What is the definition of spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is denoted by the letter k and is expressed in units of force over distance, such as N/m or lbs/in.

2. How is spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement it causes. This is known as Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount it stretches or compresses.

3. What factors affect the spring constant?

The spring constant is affected by the material and geometry of the spring. For example, a thicker wire or a longer spring will have a higher spring constant. The temperature and environment in which the spring is used can also affect its stiffness.

4. How does the spring constant relate to the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation, or the time it takes for a spring to complete one full cycle of compression and expansion, is inversely proportional to the spring constant. This means that a higher spring constant will result in a shorter period of oscillation, and vice versa.

5. How is spring constant used in real-world applications?

Spring constant is important in designing and predicting the behavior of springs in various applications, such as in mechanical systems, suspension systems, and even musical instruments. It is also used in physics experiments to study the properties of springs and their relationship to other factors, such as mass and force.