Max Compression of Spring with Friction

In summary, a child slides a block of mass 2 kg along a slick kitchen floor. If the initial speed is 4m/s and the block hits a spring with a spring constant of 6 N/m, the maximum compression of the spring is 8.152 m/s. If the block slides across 2m of a rough floor that has a μk value of 0.2, the compression of the spring is still 8.152 m/s.
iScience
A child slides a block of mass 2 kg along a slick kitchen floor. If the initial speed is 4m/s and the block hits a spring with spring constant 6 N/m, what is the maximum compression of the spring? What is the result if the block slides across 2m of a rough floor that ha μk = 0.2?

(second part of the problem)

getting to the spring..

vf2=v02+2as

F(friction)=μ(mg) ------------> a=μg

vf2=v02+2(μg)s

vf2= 8.152m/s

at the spring..

vf2=v02+2as

vf2=0

v02=8.152

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]F=F(friction)+F(spring)=-m|μg|-|kx|

a=-|μg|-(|kx|/m)

v02=2(-|μg|-(|kx|/m))s

but when i plug all the numbers in.. i get a quadratic equation and it ends up having an imaginary component because the "b^2" term, within the quadratic formula ends up being less than the "4ac" term. i COULD go through and just solve it.. but i don't know what to do because i don't know what to do with the imaginaries.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
iScience said:
A child slides a block of mass 2 kg along a slick kitchen floor. If the initial speed is 4m/s and the block hits a spring with spring constant 6 N/m, What is the result if the block slides across 2m of a rough floor that ha μk = 0.2?
Is this 2 m stretch of rough surface before it gets to the spring?

getting to the spring..

vf2=v02+2as

F(friction)=μ(mg) ------------> a=μg

vf2=v02+2(μg)s

vf2= 23.848
Do you think the rough surface acts to speed up the block? (Careful with signs!)

Doc Al said:
Is this 2 m stretch of rough surface before it gets to the spring?

Do you think the rough surface acts to speed up the block? (Careful with signs!)

oops, i corrected my mistake, but i end up with the same problem. can you point any more errors please

iScience said:
oops, i corrected my mistake, but i end up with the same problem. can you point any more errors please
Sure.

iScience said:
at the spring..

vf2=v02+2as
That's a kinematic formula for constant acceleration. Not applicable at the spring, since the force and the acceleration vary. (Think in terms of energy.)

so would it be this?

(1/2)mv2=(1/2)kA2+ ∫(μmg)ds

(1/2)mv2=(1/2)kA2+ μmgs

since A=s

(1/2)mv2=(A/2)(kA+μmg)

(1/2)mv2-(1/2)kA2+(1/2)μmgA

?

i still get a negative number for the "b2-4ac" term... this is frustrating...

iScience said:
i still get a negative number for the "b2-4ac" term... this is frustrating...
I don't see how. Since "a" is negative and "c" is positive.

In any case, are you to assume that the friction still applies once the block reaches the spring? If so, why did they specify 2 m?

didn't pay attention to the signs again...

well there was a previous part to this question, i just deleted the first part of the question since i already did it. But i assumed that they meant 2m of rough floor and then some more rough floor during the spring plays in. it wouldn't make sense to me if they made it frictionless right there. plus better practice..

the answer in the back of the book 1.1m.. what the heck...

iScience said:
well there was a previous part to this question, i just deleted the first part of the question since i already did it. But i assumed that they meant 2m of rough floor and then some more rough floor during the spring plays in. it wouldn't make sense to me if they made it frictionless right there. plus better practice..
Sure. Makes sense to me.

(But you shouldn't have to assume. If you want, you can post the entire problem, word for word, if it's not clear enough.)

i posted the original problem back at the top

iScience said:
i posted the original problem back at the top
That's ambiguous to me. I would have assumed that it's just a rough patch 2 m wide, then frictionless again. Solve it both ways!

i've decided i don't like this author ($400 textbook..)

nope, for the frictionless scenario i get 2. something and with friction present i get 1.7, can't see where my mistake is.

What textbook are you using?

"Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems" by Thornton and Marion fifth edition

iScience said:
nope, for the frictionless scenario i get 2. something and with friction present i get 1.7, can't see where my mistake is.
Check your arithmetic. I just did the frictionless scenario and got about 1.65 m. (I could easily have made an error myself though.)

1. What is a spring compression problem?

A spring compression problem refers to a situation where a spring is compressed due to an external force acting on it. This can occur in various scenarios, such as when a weight is placed on a spring or when a spring is compressed by a machine.

2. How do you calculate the spring compression?

The spring compression can be calculated by using the formula F = kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This formula is known as Hooke's Law.

3. What factors affect the spring compression?

The factors that affect the spring compression include the magnitude of the applied force, the spring constant, and the initial length of the spring. The type of material the spring is made of can also impact the compression.

4. How does the spring compression affect the spring's behavior?

The spring compression can affect the spring's behavior by changing its stiffness. When a spring is compressed, it becomes harder to compress further, and when it is stretched, it becomes harder to stretch further. This change in stiffness can impact how the spring responds to external forces.

5. How can the spring compression problem be solved?

The spring compression problem can be solved by using the formula F = kx and solving for the unknown variable. This will give the amount of force needed to compress the spring to a certain length. Additionally, using a spring with a higher spring constant can reduce the amount of compression needed for a given force.