What is the acceleration when the spring compression is greatest?

In summary, the mass experiences zero acceleration when the spring compression is at the equilibrium. This is because at the equilibrium, the force and compression are both zero, resulting in zero acceleration. This also means that the kinetic energy is maximum at the equilibrium.
contlee
A 2kg block is placed pushing against a spring. The spring is compressed and stores 10 joules of potential energy. The block remains attached to the spring as it oscillates on a frictionless track.

The mass experiences zero acceleration when the spring compression is __________
A. greatest
B. When velocity is zero
C. At the equilibrium
D. Kinetic Energy is zero
E. Potential energy is greatest

I have no idea. I think the answer is A. But however I have no concrete reason why. So far I am basing my answer on the fact that when the compression is greatest the block is not moving. Therefore the acceleration is zero, but then again choice B says when the velocity is zero. Any ideas

Physics news on Phys.org
In the spring the relation between force and compression is given by
F = -k*x, where k is the spring constant. The acceleration is zero when F is zero.
Now where the force is zero?

I'm still confused so the acceleration is o when the compression is kinetic energy is zero

contlee said:
I'm still confused so the acceleration is o when the compression is kinetic energy is zero
No. In fact when the acceleration is zero, kinetic energy is maximum. In the oscillating body where the kinetic energy is maximum?

1. What is spring compression?

Spring compression is the process of reducing the length or volume of a spring by applying an external force, typically through compression or pushing. This results in the spring storing potential energy, which can be released when the force is removed.

2. How is spring compression measured?

Spring compression is typically measured in units of distance, such as millimeters or inches. This is the change in length of the spring when a force is applied. It can also be measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds, which represents the amount of force needed to compress the spring a certain distance.

3. What factors affect the amount of spring compression?

The amount of spring compression is affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the spring, the amount of force applied, and the design of the spring (e.g. coil shape and number of coils). In addition, temperature and other environmental factors can also impact spring compression.

4. What are the applications of spring compression?

Spring compression has many practical applications, such as in shock absorbers for vehicles, door hinges, and mattress coils. It is also used in various mechanical systems to store and release energy, such as in clocks and watches, toys, and industrial machinery.

5. How is spring compression used in scientific research?

Spring compression is a common technique used in scientific research to study the properties of materials and to measure forces. By applying known amounts of force to a spring and measuring the resulting compression, scientists can calculate the properties of the material or force being tested. It is also used in experiments involving elasticity, vibrations, and energy transfer.