Solve Spring Equilibrium Homework: Find a-g | Physics

In summary, a mass of 1.20 kg is attached to an unstretched spring with a spring constant of 790 N/m and pulled with a constant force until it reaches a displacement of 14.0 cm. The work done by the force, change in potential energy of the spring, change in mechanical energy, and total work done by non-conservative forces are all the same. The speed of the mass 4.00 cm into the motion can be found by considering the increased force as an increase in the mass. The new equilibrium position may change due to the increased force, and dynamic equilibrium refers to the balance of forces in a system.
APDEVELL

Homework Statement

A mass (m = 1.20 kg), originally at rest, is attached to one end of an unstretched spring (k = 790 N/m) and the other end is fixed to a wall. The mass is then pulled with a constant force to stretch the spring. As a result, the system comes to a momentary stop after the mass is moved 14.0 cm. Find the:
a) work done by the constant force
b) change in potential energy of the spring --same answer as a)
c) change in mechanical energy of the system --same answer as a)
d) total work done by non-conservative forces --same answer as a)
e) speed of the mass 4.00 cm into the motion
f) the new equilibrium position of the system
g) maximum speed of the mass and where it occurs

The only question I have so far is f): why would the equilibrium position change? I am just looking for a conceptual answer here.
Note: there is no friction anywhere

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
think of the "additional constant force" like increasing the original mass. Since F = -kx, greater force means more displacement to get to equilibrium

I should add that there is no friction anywhere*
As far as I understand, equilibrium refers to the mean displacement of the simple harmonic motion. Though now I think equilibrium refers to dynamic equilibrium between forces. Is this correct?

1. What is spring equilibrium?

Spring equilibrium refers to the state in which a spring is at rest and not undergoing any changes in its length or shape.

2. How do you solve spring equilibrium homework?

To solve spring equilibrium homework, you will need to use the Hooke's Law equation, which states that the force exerted by a spring is proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. You will also need to consider the weight of the object attached to the spring and any external forces acting on the system.

3. What is the formula for Hooke's Law?

The formula for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

4. How do you find the spring constant (k) in a spring equilibrium problem?

The spring constant (k) can be found by dividing the force exerted by the spring (F) by the displacement from equilibrium (x). This can be represented as k = F/x.

5. What is the significance of the spring constant in a spring equilibrium problem?

The spring constant (k) is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It determines how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, while a lower spring constant indicates a more flexible spring.