1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring force home work

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    I am having problems with this question:

An m = 2.12 kg box rests on a plank that is inclined at an angle of q = 64.5° above the horizontal. The upper end of the box is attached to a spring with a force constant of 15.2 N/m.

If the coefficient of static friction between the box and the plank is 0.243, what is the maximum amount the spring can be stretched and the box remain at rest?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

You need to show some work or describe what you are thinking or where you are stuck.:wink:

4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    Ok, well I tried using F=-Kx and solve for x but that didnt work becuase I didnt use the other values. Then using Fs=usN after finding N which I think was = mgcos(theta) to find Fs, then plug that into F=-kx. But this didnt work as well. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?