What is the maximum spring stretch for a resting box on an inclined plank?

In summary, the problem involves a box resting on an inclined plank with a spring attached to its upper end. The plank is inclined at an angle of 64.5° and the spring has a force constant of 15.2 N/m. The coefficient of static friction between the box and plank is 0.243. The question is asking for the maximum amount the spring can be stretched while keeping the box at rest. The solution involves finding the normal force, using it to calculate the maximum static friction force, and then using this value in the equation F=-Kx to solve for the maximum stretch of the spring. However, the person is having trouble with their calculations and needs help.
Lnav1982
I am having problems with this question:

An m = 2.12 kg box rests on a plank that is inclined at an angle of q = 64.5° above the horizontal. The upper end of the box is attached to a spring with a force constant of 15.2 N/m.

If the coefficient of static friction between the box and the plank is 0.243, what is the maximum amount the spring can be stretched and the box remain at rest?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work or describe what you are thinking or where you are stuck.:wink:

Ok, well I tried using F=-Kx and solve for x but that didnt work becuase I didnt use the other values. Then using Fs=usN after finding N which I think was = mgcos(theta) to find Fs, then plug that into F=-kx. But this didnt work as well. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

1. What is spring force homework?

Spring force homework is a physics concept that involves calculating the force exerted by a spring based on its stiffness and displacement from equilibrium.

2. How is spring force related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. This means that the more a spring is stretched or compressed, the greater the force it exerts.

3. What units are used to measure spring force?

The SI unit for force is Newtons (N). However, the force exerted by a spring is often measured in kilonewtons (kN) or millinewtons (mN) due to the small magnitudes of force involved.

4. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant (k) can be calculated by dividing the force exerted by the spring (F) by the displacement from equilibrium (x). This can be represented by the equation k = F/x.

5. What are some real-life examples of spring force?

Spring force can be seen in many everyday objects, such as trampolines, door hinges, and car suspension systems. It is also used in industrial settings, such as in shock absorbers and spring scales.