Spring gun problem can't find start

In summary, the problem involves a spring-loaded gun on a tabletop and a target box on the floor. Shot 1 is fired with the spring compressed 1.10 cm and falls 27 cm short of the target. The goal is to determine how far the spring should be compressed for shot 2 to hit the target. Using the equation GPE1 + SPE1 + KE1 = GPE2 + SPE2 + KE2, the solution involves finding the initial velocity (v) needed to reach the target distance of 2.20m, which can be achieved by increasing the horizontal velocity by a factor of 220/193 of the original velocity. This can be determined by using the kinetic energy (KE) from the potential
JWDavid

Homework Statement

spring-loaded gun on tabletop. Target box 2.20m horizontally from edge of table on floor.
Shot 1 - spring compressed 1.10 cm - falls 27 cm short.
How far should the spring be compressed to hit the target with shot 2?

Homework Equations

GPE1 + SPE1 + KE1 = GPE2 + SPE2 + KE2<br>
0 + k(x2)/2 + 0 = mgh + 0 + 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been beating myself up trying to solve this one and the next one I'll post and I don't know where to start. <p>
I tried:<br>
to use a range solution (V2Sin(2Theta)/g) and cut it in half to get the initial velocity so I could attempt to figure out KE (mV2/2 - but don't have an angle<p>
to figure out time of flight - but don't have the height of the table<p>
I don't have a spring constant for it. And I just don't think I should be using proportions to determine the answer, not this late in a physics (w/calculus) class.<p>
I don't know where to start, and btw it didn't give me mass either.<P?
Thanks in advance
o

Physics news on Phys.org
See "Spring and projectile problem" on Nov 30. Same problem, already discussed on the forum.

JWDavid said:

Homework Statement

spring-loaded gun on tabletop. Target box 2.20m horizontally from edge of table on floor.
Shot 1 - spring compressed 1.10 cm - falls 27 cm short.
How far should the spring be compressed to hit the target with shot 2?

Homework Equations

GPE1 + SPE1 + KE1 = GPE2 + SPE2 + KE2<br>
0 + k(x2)/2 + 0 = mgh + 0 + 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been beating myself up trying to solve this one and the next one I'll post and I don't know where to start. <p>
I tried:<br>
to use a range solution (V2Sin(2Theta)/g) and cut it in half to get the initial velocity so I could attempt to figure out KE (mV2/2 - but don't have an angle<p>
to figure out time of flight - but don't have the height of the table<p>
I don't have a spring constant for it. And I just don't think I should be using proportions to determine the answer, not this late in a physics (w/calculus) class.<p>
I don't know where to start, and btw it didn't give me mass either.<P?
Thanks in advance
o

Whatever the height of the table you know that the horizontal velocity times the time to fall is short i.e. too slow. So to get to the proper distance the horizontal speed needs to be increased to 220/193 of whatever speed it comes off the top of the table.

Working backward, the v will come from the kinetic energy that came from the potential energy of the spring in the gun. Since the mass and the spring constant are invariant that means that the x is proportional to the v.

So ... that means that if the x is 220/193 of the 1.1 cm you might have a better chance?

Thank you both, I understand LowlyPion's answer better, but I think I learned more from figuring out how to get where nasu's answer pointed. Thanks again.

JWDavid said:
Thank you both, I understand LowlyPion's answer better, but I think I learned more from figuring out how to get where nasu's answer pointed. Thanks again.

I just read the other thread. It can be found here. (Not Nov 30, Oct 30)
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=268009

Interesting ... but a long way around the barn I think.

FAQ: Spring gun problem can't find start

1. What is the "spring gun problem"?

The "spring gun problem" refers to a scenario in classical mechanics where a projectile is launched from a gun using a spring. The problem involves finding the initial position and velocity of the projectile, given the properties of the spring, gun, and projectile.

2. Why is it difficult to find the start of the spring gun problem?

The spring gun problem can be difficult to solve because it involves multiple variables and forces acting on the projectile. Additionally, the motion of the projectile is affected by factors such as air resistance and friction, making it challenging to accurately determine the initial conditions.

3. What are the key equations used to solve the spring gun problem?

The key equations used to solve the spring gun problem are the equations of motion, including Newton's second law (F=ma) and the kinematic equations (v=u+at and s=ut+0.5at²). These equations can be used to determine the initial velocity and position of the projectile.

4. Can the spring gun problem be solved analytically or numerically?

The spring gun problem can be solved using both analytical and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve using mathematical equations to find an exact solution, while numerical methods use approximations and calculations to find a solution.

5. How can the spring gun problem be applied in real-world situations?

The spring gun problem has applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and ballistics. For example, it can be used to determine the trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun or the launch angle of a projectile in a catapult. It is also used in designing and testing spring-powered devices, such as toys and weapons.

Back