Spring Mechanics homework problem

  • Thread starter aviv87
  • Start date
  • #1
17
0
There are N weights, each of mass M, connected as shown.
At the moment of cutting the top spring, what will be the acceleration of the top and bottom weights?

Thanks ahead :biggrin:
 

Attachments

Answers and Replies

  • #2
17
0
anyone?
my guess is that the one on the top will have a=ng and the one on the bottom a=0.
is that right?
 
  • #3
Doc Al
Mentor
44,990
1,263
Since your attachment is not yet viewable, you'll have to describe the arrangement to get any help. What work have you done?
 
  • #4
17
0
there's a spring connected to a ceiling. a mass M is connected to it, to her another spring is connected, another mass etc' for N masses.
ceiling
-----
/
\
/
M
\
/
\
M
\
/
\
M

Does this help? :smile:
 
  • #5
Doc Al
Mentor
44,990
1,263
aviv87 said:
my guess is that the one on the top will have a=ng and the one on the bottom a=0.
Sounds right to me. But no need to guess. Consider the forces on each mass, and the fact that the springs won't change lengths instantly.
 
  • #6
17
0
Doc Al said:
Sounds right to me. But no need to guess. Consider the forces on each mass, and the fact that the springs won't change lengths instantly.
Well, that's what I got, but my physics teacher said he thinks it's a=0 for the bottom one, but that the one on top would have a<g, but he wasn't sure.
That made me think I did something wrong...
 
  • #7
Doc Al
Mentor
44,990
1,263
aviv87 said:
Well, that's what I got, but my physics teacher said he thinks it's a=0 for the bottom one, but that the one on top would have a<g, but he wasn't sure.
I don't see how he could think that the one on top could have an acceleration less than g. If the only force on it were gravity, a = g. But you've also got a stretched spring pulling it down, so a > g. Ask him to explain his reasoning. :smile:
 
  • #8
17
0
Doc Al said:
I don't see how he could think that the one on top could have an acceleration less than g. If the only force on it were gravity, a = g. But you've also got a stretched spring pulling it down, so a > g. Ask him to explain his reasoning. :smile:
My thoughts exactly :approve:
Well, I guess he wasn't paying enough attention or something...
Thanks!
 

Related Threads on Spring Mechanics homework problem

  • Last Post
Replies
14
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
889
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
917
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
7K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
6K
Replies
1
Views
599
Replies
12
Views
2K
Top