1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Mechanics homework problem

1. Nov 24, 2004 #1
    There are N weights, each of mass M, connected as shown.
    At the moment of cutting the top spring, what will be the acceleration of the top and bottom weights?

Thanks ahead :biggrin:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2004 #2
    anyone?
    my guess is that the one on the top will have a=ng and the one on the bottom a=0.
    is that right?

4. Nov 25, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since your attachment is not yet viewable, you'll have to describe the arrangement to get any help. What work have you done?

5. Nov 25, 2004 #4
    there's a spring connected to a ceiling. a mass M is connected to it, to her another spring is connected, another mass etc' for N masses.
    ceiling
    -----
    /
    \
    /
    M
    \
    /
    \
    M
    \
    /
    \
    M

Does this help? :smile:

6. Nov 25, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Sounds right to me. But no need to guess. Consider the forces on each mass, and the fact that the springs won't change lengths instantly.

7. Nov 25, 2004 #6
    Well, that's what I got, but my physics teacher said he thinks it's a=0 for the bottom one, but that the one on top would have a<g, but he wasn't sure.
    That made me think I did something wrong...

8. Nov 25, 2004 #7

Doc Al

I don't see how he could think that the one on top could have an acceleration less than g. If the only force on it were gravity, a = g. But you've also got a stretched spring pulling it down, so a > g. Ask him to explain his reasoning. :smile:

9. Nov 25, 2004 #8
    My thoughts exactly :approve:
    Well, I guess he wasn't paying enough attention or something...
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?