Spring Mechanics homework problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an arrangement of N weights connected by springs and a question about the acceleration of the top and bottom weights when the top spring is cut. One person guesses that the top weight will have an acceleration of g and the bottom weight will have an acceleration of 0, while another person agrees but suggests considering the forces on the weights and the spring's elasticity. The conclusion is that the top weight will have an acceleration greater than g due to the force of the stretched spring. The conversation ends with the second person expressing agreement and questioning the first person's reasoning.
aviv87
There are N weights, each of mass M, connected as shown.
At the moment of cutting the top spring, what will be the acceleration of the top and bottom weights?

Thanks ahead :biggrin:

Attachments

• physics.JPG
    physics.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?
my guess is that the one on the top will have a=ng and the one on the bottom a=0.
is that right?

Since your attachment is not yet viewable, you'll have to describe the arrangement to get any help. What work have you done?

there's a spring connected to a ceiling. a mass M is connected to it, to her another spring is connected, another mass etc' for N masses.
ceiling
-----
/
\
/
M
\
/
\
M
\
/
\
M

Does this help? :smile:

aviv87 said:
my guess is that the one on the top will have a=ng and the one on the bottom a=0.
Sounds right to me. But no need to guess. Consider the forces on each mass, and the fact that the springs won't change lengths instantly.

Doc Al said:
Sounds right to me. But no need to guess. Consider the forces on each mass, and the fact that the springs won't change lengths instantly.

Well, that's what I got, but my physics teacher said he thinks it's a=0 for the bottom one, but that the one on top would have a<g, but he wasn't sure.
That made me think I did something wrong...

aviv87 said:
Well, that's what I got, but my physics teacher said he thinks it's a=0 for the bottom one, but that the one on top would have a<g, but he wasn't sure.
I don't see how he could think that the one on top could have an acceleration less than g. If the only force on it were gravity, a = g. But you've also got a stretched spring pulling it down, so a > g. Ask him to explain his reasoning. :smile:

Doc Al said:
I don't see how he could think that the one on top could have an acceleration less than g. If the only force on it were gravity, a = g. But you've also got a stretched spring pulling it down, so a > g. Ask him to explain his reasoning. :smile:

My thoughts exactly :approve:
Well, I guess he wasn't paying enough attention or something...
Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of studying Spring Mechanics?

The purpose of studying Spring Mechanics is to understand the behavior and properties of springs, which are used in a variety of applications such as in mechanical systems, electronics, and construction. By understanding how springs work, we can design and use them effectively in different scenarios.

2. How do springs store and release energy?

Springs store and release energy by deforming when a force is applied to them and then returning to their original shape when the force is removed. This deformation causes potential energy to be stored in the spring, which is released as kinetic energy when the spring returns to its original state.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a spring?

The behavior of a spring is affected by several factors, including its material, length, diameter, number of coils, and the amount of force applied to it. The type of end attachments and the environment in which the spring is used can also influence its behavior.

4. How is the stiffness of a spring measured?

The stiffness of a spring is measured by its spring constant, which is the amount of force required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. It is typically denoted by the letter "k" and is measured in units of force per unit length (such as N/m).

5. Can springs be used for both compression and tension?

Yes, springs can be used for both compression and tension. When a force is applied to compress a spring, it is called a compression spring. When a force is applied to stretch a spring, it is called a tension spring. Some springs are designed to work in both compression and tension, depending on the direction of the force applied.