Spring Oscillation: Solve for Speed at t = 0.820s

In summary, the conversation was about solving an oscillation problem involving a mass on a spring. The position of the mass was given by an equation and the question was to find the speed of the mass at a specific time. The formula for velocity was discussed and the importance of converting units to SI units was emphasized. The concept of phase constant was also explained. The final answer, after calculations, was 75.8 cm/s.
K3nt70
Hello,

Ive been working on some oscillation problems and i got a couple of them correct (im suspecting flukes) but i can't get past this one:

The position of a mass that is oscillating on a spring is given by (17.5cm)cos[(11.0s^-1)t].
What is the speed of the mass when t = 0.820 s?

I believe I am supposed to use V = dx/dt = -A*w*sin(w*t + fi)

where A is amplitude, w is angular frequency t is time and fi is the phase constant. i think I am really having a problem understanding how to get the phase constant.

p.s. this is my first post and I'm only looking for a point in the right direction, not a completed solution. :D

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The original equation shows that the phase constant is zero.

It is always true that
[tex]v = \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
so given the formula for x(t) you can just derive it and get the velocity.

In the general case
[tex]x(t) = A \sin(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
the derivative indeed becomes
[tex]v(t) = -A \omega \cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
but you don't really need that here.
What you could observe from that formula, is that the phase does not matter in the result (e.g. it doesn't come in the pre-factor or anything, it just stays inside the trig function to keep it synchronized with the movement x(t)).

ok, should i be converting cm to m during my calculations? (im assuming the final answer should be in m/s)

It is alsways a good idea to convert units into the SI units, (eg metres, kilogramps, etc) and then convert the final answer into the units required - If a constant is involved in an equation, the units if the constant are normally SI Units, so if you don't convert them, your answer will be wrong.

The phase constant is simply used if the initial displacement is not 0 at t=0

Hope this all helps,

TFM

ok, all done. Thanks alot. (mark as solved) 75.8 cm/s

Related to Spring Oscillation: Solve for Speed at t = 0.820s

1. What is spring oscillation?

Spring oscillation is a type of periodic motion in which an object attached to a spring moves back and forth between two points. This motion occurs because the spring exerts a restoring force on the object, causing it to oscillate.

2. How is spring oscillation related to speed?

The speed of an object in spring oscillation varies throughout the motion. At the equilibrium points (where the spring is neither compressed nor stretched), the speed is zero. At the maximum displacement points, the speed is at its maximum.

3. How do you solve for speed at a specific time in spring oscillation?

To solve for speed at a specific time, you can use the equation v = Aωcos(ωt + φ), where v is the speed, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the phase constant. Plug in the given values and solve for v.

4. What is the significance of solving for speed at t = 0.820s?

Solving for speed at a specific time allows us to determine the exact speed of the object at that point in time. This information can be useful in understanding the behavior of the object and predicting future motion.

5. How does the spring constant affect the speed in spring oscillation?

The spring constant, represented by the symbol k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will exert a greater restoring force on the object. This results in a higher speed in spring oscillation compared to a spring with a lower spring constant.