Can the 0.5 constant in the asymptote of sqrt(x*(x-1)) be found?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient and constant for the asymptote of sqrt(x*(x-1)), with the coefficient being found through the limit of the function as x approaches infinity and the constant being found using a binomial expansion and keeping the first order term.
daudaudaudau
Hi.

I'd like to show that sqrt(x*(x-1)) has the asymptote x-0.5. The coefficient on "x" is found by saying

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\sqrt{x(x-1)}}{x}=1[/tex]

but how does one find the 0.5 constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
daudaudaudau said:
Hi.

I'd like to show that sqrt(x*(x-1)) has the asymptote x-0.5. The coefficient on "x" is found by saying

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\sqrt{x(x-1)}}{x}=1[/tex]

but how does one find the 0.5 constant?

[tex]\sqrt{x(x-1)} = \sqrt{x^2\left(1-\frac{1}{x}\right)} \rightarrow_{x \rightarrow \infty} x\left(1-\frac{1}{2x}\right) = x - \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

At the arrow I've used a binomial expansion ([itex]\sqrt{1+a} \simeq 1 + a/2[/itex], to first order, when [itex]a \ll 1[/itex]) and kept the first order term, which gives the result you're looking for. (any further terms in the expansion will be [itex]\mathcal{O}(1/x)[/itex], which is why they get neglected but the 1/2 is kept, I guess.)

Last edited:
Oh. Right. Thank you :-)

What is a square root asymptote?

A square root asymptote is a line that a square root function approaches but never touches. It is a horizontal line that the graph of the square root function gets closer and closer to as the input values increase.

How do you find the equation of a square root asymptote?

To find the equation of a square root asymptote, set the radicand (the number under the square root sign) equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting equation will be the equation of the asymptote.

What is the purpose of a square root asymptote?

A square root asymptote helps us understand the behavior of a square root function for large input values. It also allows us to graph the function accurately and make predictions about its behavior.

Can a square root asymptote ever intersect the graph of a square root function?

No, a square root asymptote and the graph of a square root function can never intersect. The asymptote represents the limit of the function as the input values approach infinity, but it is not actually part of the function.

How does a square root asymptote change when the function is shifted or stretched?

When a square root function is shifted or stretched, the square root asymptote will also shift or stretch accordingly. However, the equation of the asymptote will remain the same, as it is only affected by the radicand of the function.