Calculating the Force Needed to Move Stacked Boxes with Friction

• Thread starter oreosama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: I just need to account for force down from top box and account for it on the bottom one?(in this case just add mg to 3mg)?normal between box and ground 3*uk*mgto keep both on surface 4*uk*mg
oreosama
I'm asking purely in general,

say you have two boxes stacked, if you push on the bottom one, is the top being moved forward by a friction? If this is true it implies an opposite friction on the top of the bottom box?
http://i.imgur.com/7Dya1.png
Is this "balanced" properly? If not help me fix my understanding!
Assuming the above is all good, I have a question from my homework here. same situation as above but with a rope tied to wall on top block

http://i.imgur.com/v1CgQ.png

I applied the forces the same I did before, is this correct?(it seems to make sense, T cancels out top friction meaning it doesn't move, more resistance to pull top block due to two friction forces acting on it.)

Thanks for any confirmation and help

And assuming I've gotten all of that, here's a problem

block a of mass m sits atop another block of mass 3m. block a is tied to a rope with the other end tied to a wall the coeefcient of kinetic friction between each surface is uk. the bottom block is pulled to the left with force F

given m, uk determine force F necessary to move the bottom block at constant speed

F = 4*uk*mg

Physics news on Phys.org
When a force applied to the bottom box, it moves to the left.
The relative motion of the top is to the right.Friction opposes this motion to the right and and pulls the top box to the left. Maximum force is Mgμs

oreosama said:
I'm asking purely in general,

say you have two boxes stacked, if you push on the bottom one, is the top being moved forward by a friction? If this is true it implies an opposite friction on the top of the bottom box?
http://i.imgur.com/7Dya1.png
Is this "balanced" properly? If not help me fix my understanding!

The top and bottom boxes interact trough their normal force and through friction. The force of friction acts against the relative motion of the boxes. The top box exerts a backward force on the bottom one and the bottom box exerts a force of same magnitude but forward to the top one. If Ff≤μN is enough to accelerate both boxes with the same acceleration the boxes are stationary with respect to each others. Otherwise the top box will lag behind the bottom one.

oreosama said:
Assuming the above is all good, I have a question from my homework here. same situation as above but with a rope tied to wall on top block

http://i.imgur.com/v1CgQ.png

I applied the forces the same I did before, is this correct?(it seems to make sense, T cancels out top friction meaning it doesn't move, more resistance to pull top block due to two friction forces acting on it.)

Thanks for any confirmation and help

that is correct.

oreosama said:
And assuming I've gotten all of that, here's a problem

block a of mass m sits atop another block of mass 3m. block a is tied to a rope with the other end tied to a wall the coeefcient of kinetic friction between each surface is uk. the bottom block is pulled to the left with force F

given m, uk determine force F necessary to move the bottom block at constant speed

F = 4*uk*mg
There are two forces of friction exerted to the big box, one from the top box, the other from the ground.
You need to multiple the normal force with μ to get the force of friction. The normal force between the boxes is mg, but what is the normal force between the big box and the ground? How much force is needed to keep both boxes on the surface?

ehild

so I just need to account for force down from top box and account for it on the bottom one?(in this case just add mg to 3mg)?

normal between box and ground 3*uk*mg

to keep both on surface 4*uk*mg

F = 5*uk*mg ?

oreosama said:
so I just need to account for force down from top box and account for it on the bottom one?(in this case just add mg to 3mg)?

normal between box and ground 3*[STRIKE]uk[/STRIKE]*mg

to keep both on surface 4*[STRIKE]uk[/STRIKE]*mg

F = 5*uk*mg ?

Considering the bottom box, force mg acts downward from the top box, and 3mg acts from gravity also downward, so the ground exerts N=4mg force upward. That is the force required to keep the whole thing on the surface.
There is a (horizontal) force of friction from the top box and the other from the ground, both in opposite direction as the applied force.

Your end result is correct, however.

ehild

FAQ: Calculating the Force Needed to Move Stacked Boxes with Friction

1. How does friction affect stacked boxes?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of stacked boxes, friction plays a crucial role in keeping the boxes in place and preventing them from sliding or toppling over. The amount of friction between the boxes depends on the weight of the boxes, the type of surface they are stacked on, and the roughness of the surfaces.

2. Can friction be used to stabilize stacked boxes?

Yes, friction can be used to stabilize stacked boxes. By increasing the friction between the surfaces of the boxes or between the boxes and the surface they are stacked on, the boxes will be less likely to move or slip. This can be achieved by using materials with high coefficients of friction, such as rubber or sandpaper, between the boxes or on the surface they are stacked on.

3. How does the weight of the boxes affect the amount of friction?

The weight of the boxes has a direct impact on the amount of friction between them. The heavier the boxes, the greater the normal force between the surfaces in contact, resulting in a higher amount of friction. This is why it is important to evenly distribute the weight of the boxes when stacking them to ensure stability and prevent them from sliding.

4. What other factors besides friction should be considered when stacking boxes?

Besides friction, the shape and size of the boxes, the surface they are stacked on, and the height of the stack should also be taken into consideration. Boxes with irregular shapes or smooth surfaces may have less friction between them, making them more prone to slipping. Additionally, stacking boxes too high can also increase the risk of them toppling over.

5. How can friction be reduced between stacked boxes?

Friction can be reduced between stacked boxes by using materials with low coefficients of friction, such as wax or oil, between the surfaces in contact. Additionally, placing a non-slip mat or rubber pads between the boxes and the surface they are stacked on can also help reduce friction. However, it is important to note that reducing friction too much can also make the stacked boxes more prone to slipping or toppling over.

Back