1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing waves on a moving string

1. Jul 13, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I have the configuration as shown in attached picture. I know how to calculate string tension and measure frequency if the string is not moving. But what happens if the string is moving at a constant speed? Are there still standing waves? Can we still calculate the string tension? What if the speed of a string is slow in comparison to frequency of standing waves?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2015 #2
    First, this may belong in a HW section and need to follow the HW guidance requirements.

Second, consider why and how would the equations change if a string is moving?

4. Jul 13, 2015 #3
    dr. courtney , tell me how an oscillator would produce a wave on the string ??

5. Jul 13, 2015 #4
    Strings tend to start vibrating if any one of their resonance frequencies are excited. If an oscillator excites a resonant frequency, a string will vibrate, producing a wave.

6. Jul 13, 2015 #5
    actually i meant to say how an oscillator would produce a wave on the string , when the string is moving with some speed ??
    don't you think that - the attempt of oscillator for producing a wave may lead to some unordered stuff happening on the string , as it is moving ?? !

7. Jul 14, 2015 #6
    Sorry if it is in the wrong section.
    I was thinking that waves moving in one direction are "sped up" because of the moving string and waves travelling in the opposite direction are "slowed down". Would we actually see 2 different frequencies or am I completely wrong?

8. Jul 14, 2015 #7
    The speed of the wave in respect to the medium (string) is not changed by the motion of the string.

9. Jul 15, 2015 #8
    I understand that. I was talking from the point of view of an outside observer.

10. Jul 15, 2015 #9
    That point of view is irrelevant for the frequency of the standing waves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook