Standing waves on a moving string

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of a moving string on standing waves and how an oscillator would produce a wave on a moving string. It is mentioned that the equations may change for a moving string and that the speed of the wave in respect to the medium is not affected by the motion of the string. The conversation also touches on the idea of an outside observer and its relevance to the frequency of standing waves.
d7vid
Hello,
I have the configuration as shown in attached picture. I know how to calculate string tension and measure frequency if the string is not moving. But what happens if the string is moving at a constant speed? Are there still standing waves? Can we still calculate the string tension? What if the speed of a string is slow in comparison to frequency of standing waves?

Thanks!

Attachments

• standing_waves.png
    standing_waves.png
    914 bytes · Views: 399
Likes person_random_normal
Physics news on Phys.org
First, this may belong in a HW section and need to follow the HW guidance requirements.

Second, consider why and how would the equations change if a string is moving?

dr. courtney , tell me how an oscillator would produce a wave on the string ??

Shreyas Samudra said:
dr. courtney , tell me how an oscillator would produce a wave on the string ??

Strings tend to start vibrating if anyone of their resonance frequencies are excited. If an oscillator excites a resonant frequency, a string will vibrate, producing a wave.

actually i meant to say how an oscillator would produce a wave on the string , when the string is moving with some speed ??
don't you think that - the attempt of oscillator for producing a wave may lead to some unordered stuff happening on the string , as it is moving ?? !

Sorry if it is in the wrong section.
I was thinking that waves moving in one direction are "sped up" because of the moving string and waves traveling in the opposite direction are "slowed down". Would we actually see 2 different frequencies or am I completely wrong?

The speed of the wave in respect to the medium (string) is not changed by the motion of the string.

I understand that. I was talking from the point of view of an outside observer.

That point of view is irrelevant for the frequency of the standing waves.

1. What is a standing wave on a moving string?

A standing wave on a moving string is a pattern of vibration that occurs when a string is fixed at both ends and is being moved or oscillated at a specific frequency. The wave appears to be standing still, hence the name "standing wave".

2. How is a standing wave on a moving string different from a traveling wave?

A standing wave on a moving string is different from a traveling wave in that a traveling wave moves through space, while a standing wave does not. A traveling wave carries energy from one point to another, while a standing wave does not transport energy, but rather oscillates in place.

3. What are the nodes and antinodes in a standing wave on a moving string?

Nodes are points along the string where there is no displacement, meaning the string is not moving. Antinodes are points of maximum displacement, where the string is moving the most. In a standing wave on a moving string, there will always be a node at each end and at least one antinode in between.

4. How is the frequency of a standing wave on a moving string related to the length of the string?

The frequency of a standing wave on a moving string is inversely proportional to the length of the string. This means that as the length of the string decreases, the frequency increases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation f = n(v/2L), where f is the frequency, n is the harmonic number, v is the velocity of the wave, and L is the length of the string.

5. What is the relationship between the wavelength and the length of a standing wave on a moving string?

The wavelength of a standing wave on a moving string is twice the length of the string. This is because a standing wave has a node at each end, meaning that the distance between two consecutive nodes is equal to one half of the wavelength. Therefore, the wavelength is twice the length of the string.