State and prove a natural generalization

In summary, the task is to prove the AG Inequality for any positive real numbers, with a hint that the same method used for the case of three numbers may also work for the general case or proof by induction can be used.
major_maths

Homework Statement

State and prove a natural generalization of "prove that for any three positive real numbers x1, x2, x3, x1/x2 + x2/x3 + x3/x1 [itex]\geq[/itex] 3.

Homework Equations

AG Inequality is used in subproof (x1/x2 + x2/x3 + x3/x1 [itex]\geq[/itex] 3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the book means exactly by a "natural generalization". Does it want me to prove the original AG Inequality or relate it somehow to this specific instance of the AG Inequality?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's special about the statement being true for 3 numbers? Is it true that for any 4 positive real numbers [itex] x_1, x_2, x_3, x_4[/itex]
[tex]
\frac{x_1}{x_2}+\frac{x_2}{x_3}+\frac{x_3}{x_4}+ \frac{x_4}{x_1} \geq 4 \; ?
[/tex]
Can you generalize?

So it's asking for a proof of the form (x1+x2+...+xn)/n [itex]\geq[/itex] [itex]\sqrt[n]{x1x2...xn}[/itex] . So, I should prove the Arithmetic-Geometric Mean Inequality?

Last edited:
major_maths said:
So it's asking for a proof of the form (x1+x2+...+xn)/n [itex]\geq[/itex] [itex]\sqrt[n]{x1x2...xn}[/itex] . So, I should prove the Arithmetic-Geometric Mean Inequality?

If by "of the form," you mean for [itex] n [/itex] positive real numbers, then yes. I'm guessing the same trick you used for the [itex] n=3[/itex] case will work in general. If not, proof by induction might work.

1. What is the definition of a natural generalization?

A natural generalization is a statement that applies to a broad range of cases based on a limited set of observations or data. It is a hypothesis that has been tested and proven to be true in various situations.

2. How do you prove a natural generalization?

In order to prove a natural generalization, you must collect and analyze a significant amount of data and observations. You must then use this evidence to support your hypothesis and show that it applies to a wide range of cases.

3. What makes a natural generalization valid?

A natural generalization is considered valid if it has been proven to be true in multiple cases and can be applied to a wide range of situations. It must also be supported by evidence and cannot be disproven.

4. Can a natural generalization ever be proven wrong?

While a natural generalization can be disproven, it is unlikely as it is based on a significant amount of evidence and observations. However, new evidence or data may emerge that can disprove a previously accepted natural generalization.

5. How is a natural generalization different from a law or theory?

A natural generalization is a statement that is based on a limited set of data and observations, whereas a law or theory is a well-established and extensively tested scientific principle. A natural generalization is also not as universally accepted as a law or theory, which may have more conclusive evidence to support it.