Statements regarding Brownian motion experiment

In summary, an experiment to demonstrate Brownian motion in a gas involves observing the random motion of smoke particles in a brightly illuminated cell under a microscope. The correct statement about this experiment is that the higher the temperature of the gas, the faster the motion of the bright specks. The option A, stating that light is being scattered by gas molecules, is not the most accurate answer. The option C, stating that the lower the smoke pressure of the gas, the more frequent are the direction changes of the bright specks, is also not the most accurate answer as the number of smoke particles is much lower than the number of gas molecules.
coconut62

Homework Statement

In an experiment to demonstrate Brownian motion in a gas, a brightly illuminated cell containing smoke is viewed under a microscope. The observer sees a large number of bright specks undergoing random motion.

Which one of the following statements about this experiment is correct?

A) Light is being scattered by gas molecules.
B) The larger the smoke particle, the greater is the speed of the bright specks.
C) The lower the smoke pressure of the gas, the more frequent are the direction changes of the bright specks
D) The higher the temperature of the gas, the faster is the motion of the bright specks.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose D, the answer is D.

D is obviously correct.
I know B is incorrect.

But I am not very sure about A and C.

"A) Light is scattered by gas molecules" Isn't that so? Light is reflected in many directions by many gas molecules so it is scattered.

"C) The lower the smoke pressure, the more frequent are the direction changes of the bright specks" If smoke pressure is lower, it means there are fewer smoke particles. But how does that affect the rate of direction changes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why has the experimenter introduced smoke into the jar? What else is in the jar apart from smoke? (Smoke is not dirty gas molecules.)

The experimenter wanted to observe the motion of the smoke particles?
Apart from smoke there's air molecules in the jar.

Regarding my concern about choice A), I think the gas molecules means air molecules?

coconut62 said:

Regarding my concern about choice A), I think the gas molecules means air molecules?

Yes, it might be air or some other gas, but not the smoke. The smoke particles perform random "Brownian" motion as the gas molecules hit them in random directions. See, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_motion and the experiment dust particles in air here

The light might be scattered by the air molecules, too, but scattering is most effective when the wavelength of light is comparable to the size of the particle. That is true for the dust particles, so we see them bright as the light scattered from them reaches our eyes.
As for C) The number of the smoke particles in a given volume is much lower than the number of the gas molecules. The direction of motion of a bright speck (dust particle) changes if it is hit by a gas molecule. Of course, two dust particles can also collide but it is much less frequent than collision with air molecules.

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
coconut62 said:

It is not necessary that the gas be air here.

Although we know how light can be scattered by gas molecules, this experiment is not a demonstration of light being scattered by gas molecules. So that is why (A) is not the most/best correct answer.

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
As for C) The number of the smoke particles in a given volume is much lower than the number of the gas molecules. The direction of motion of a bright speck (dust particle) changes if it is hit by a gas molecule. Of course, two dust particles can also collide but it is much less frequent than collision with air molecules.

Do you mean that when there are less smoke particles, the probability of one particle being bombarded by gas molecules increase so its change of speed increases?

coconut62 said:
Do you mean that when there are less smoke particles, the probability of one particle being bombarded by gas molecules increase so its change of speed increases?
No, ehild means that the gas molecules so vastly outnumber the smoke molecules that collisions between smoke molecules are irrelevant.
I would add that for the same reason, what the gas molecules do, in aggregate, is barely affected by the smoke molecules.
Therefore what you observe for one smoke molecule is unrelated to the number of smoke molecules.

Likes 1 person
coconut62 said:

No, I did not mean so. Haruspex explained exactly what I meant :biggrin:
By the way, it is strange to speak about "smoke pressure" in the experiment.

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is Brownian motion and why is it important?

Brownian motion is the random and continuous movement of small particles suspended in a fluid, caused by collisions with the molecules of the fluid. This phenomenon was first observed by Robert Brown in 1827 and is important because it provides evidence for the existence of molecules, which was a major breakthrough in understanding the structure of matter.

2. How is the Brownian motion experiment performed?

The Brownian motion experiment involves placing small particles, such as pollen or smoke, in a fluid (usually water) and observing their movement under a microscope. The particles will appear to move randomly due to collisions with the fluid molecules. This experiment can also be performed using a laser to track the movement of the particles.

3. What is the significance of the size of the particles used in the Brownian motion experiment?

The size of the particles used in the Brownian motion experiment is significant because it affects the speed and distance of the particles' movement. Smaller particles will move faster and cover a larger distance due to their higher surface area to volume ratio, making them ideal for observing Brownian motion.

4. Can Brownian motion be observed in other substances besides water?

Yes, Brownian motion can be observed in any fluid, including gases and non-aqueous liquids. In fact, Brownian motion is even observed in the air, as the movement of dust particles is a result of collisions with air molecules.

5. How does the Brownian motion experiment relate to other areas of science?

The Brownian motion experiment has implications in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. For example, it helped to confirm the kinetic theory of gases and is used in the study of diffusion and osmosis. In biology, Brownian motion is a key factor in the movement of cells and organelles within the body.